4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown rings after head job

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 10:03 PM
Observant1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown rings after head job

Too drunk to post much but after rewplacing cam and lifters....cyl 1 and 3 have no compression. Squirted lucas thick oil into spark plug hole and got 190 psi after a couple of revs.

gonna replace the rings and rod beARINGS.

oRIGINAL PROBLEM WAS cam lobe was eaten uop with lifter tuk.

I didn;t know interference engine or the high compression....

going to bed now.

kinda fuked up after a few shots and a log day of work...

Old 06-20-2024, 03:41 PM
Observant1

Wow. I must quit drinking.

Old 06-20-2024, 11:02 PM
Observant1

Ok so the long story is the cam hed worn lobe on cyl 3..

So we decided to replace the jlifters and canshaft,

The cam was in bad shape. Clinder 3 lifter was noy real bad but the cam was worn as you see .

Didnt tourqu the cam boplt so much damage done on iunterference engine........going to bed will update later......

Old 06-21-2024, 11:16 AM
Observant1

cLOSE TO FINISHED WE THOUGHT

So a day or so later from this picture we started the truck, New cam / lifters / heads reworked / 177,000 miles on truck - 5.7 hemi. We wanted to fix the valve tik. Lobe was eaten up on old camshaft....long story short after the engine started up it sounded great. got up to temp and started missing...got worse...got really bad. So we did a compression test on cyl # 3 (had misfire codes for 303 and random 300... The needele on the pressure thster wouldnt even move. After turning it ove we finally got 23lbs of pressure.

Old 06-21-2024, 11:39 AM
Observant1

Walked away from it to cool off. Next day we removed the head on that side to look it over. Looks great. The machine shop does great work. The replaced a few valves redid the guides reseated all the old valves...

I don't have a picture of the underside but it looks great.

Put the heads back on and left the lifters out to do another compression test. No compression on cyl 1 and 3. Poured some Lucas thick oil down the spark plug hole and the compression jumped up to about 150. So it's gotta be blown rings from excelent head repair work...right?

So we sat down and tried to decide what to do. Our plan is to rering each piston one at a time with the engine still in the truck - Ram 1500. We'll keep things clean. There's no ridge at the top to speak of but also no crosshatch visible. My biggest question is...has anyone removed all 8 pistons out of the top with the engine still in the truck? The back two will be the hardest but i think due to the pistons being kinda short we can tap then out of the top. knock the glaze off with out bead style hone, reinstall rings and rod bearings - keeping everything clean and see if we can't get this engine back running like it should. Anyone ever done this procedure with engine in the truck?
We're gonna give it a try. This has been a nighmare. Probably woud have done things different in hindsight, but here we are. Wis us luck. I'll try to take a few nore photos, but this was never ment to be a how to thread. It may eurn into a how not to thread.

Old 06-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Observant1

Part's should arive this weekend. Clevite bearings - Mahale rings. Supposed to arrive by 5pm today.

edit = OK got delivered last night. My buddy thats got the truck under his garage isn't answering the phone...so gonna go over and do what i can. Hopefully he's gone to get his helper.

PS - he lost his shop back during covid, so at his age he just takes on some jobs he can do at his house. He's close to 60 and so am I. This started as a favor to my neighboor that's 70YO and works 6 days a weak! Was gonna just be a simple cam/lifters replacement for his #3 cyl lifter tik.

Last edited by Observant1; 06-22-2024 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Observant1
Default Rebuilt the engine. What a pain

Spoke with my buddy that 's doing modst of the work and he said we need to just pull the block out and install a mianseal while we do the rings.

I think we have room but we both have cherry pickers. Mines a bit more hevy duity than his but his will pull the motor out.

This has been a nightmare. but for those that have rebuilt engines before it is much easier to work on it on an engine stand rather than try to maneuver inside the engine compartment. The Ram 1500 rwd has a good deal of room, but if the three of us work at it we should get this engine back in great shape.

Just a bit of a bitvh.

Last cylinder we honed and installed new rings.

Last edited by Observant1; 06-28-2024 at 10:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-28-2024, 10:25 PM
Observant1

So now my problem is after it took for ever to start I have a generic crankshaft sensor code. Drove it for a while to get the ECO to turn on and of numerous times but cant get rid of the po335.

Checked the connector. Replaced the crank sensor. No luck.

Thats all I've done. it's now late and I'm tired plus the truck is hot ans so am I...plus it's getting late and i'm hungre.

Will try to diagnose it this weakend.

It'd be really nice if I new which pins on the PCM go to the crank sensor in case i dont have the 5v, ground, and the signal i can't measure. I can check continuity from each pin at the sensor to the PCM if i know the wiring layout........HINT.... i'll keep looking....

Old 06-28-2024, 10:32 PM
Observant1

Probably gonna look at grounds tomorrow?

Old 06-29-2024, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What year is your truck?

Quick Reply: Blown rings after head job