1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I drove it this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 09:07 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts
Default I drove it this morning

Then this afternoon I get in and turn the key, dash lights up, and nothing else happens. I guess I heard a click down by the starter. So much for having the new one sitting there waiting for me to install it. Guess I got every bit of work possible out of this one I got the new one (Denso) afew months ago when it was on one of those RA sales not requiring a core return. I hope that is the problem. Anything I should know? I remember reading something very complicated in the FSM about the starter having to do with disconnecting steering column parts. I looked from above but have not yet crawled under. I was going to move it so I could take the other truck out for a test drive having just added an electric fan and fuel pump relay system. I got around the Dak w/o having to move it and the other one drove real nice.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 06-26-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Has the starter been acting up previously??

Old 06-26-2024, 10:08 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Has the starter been acting up previously??
Yes I forgot to mention it though I have brought it up on here before.
It started a few years ago first thing in the morning first try it would just spin the pinion. Then it would start the second time. Occasionally it would take 3 tries. I discovered after a few times if I turned the key on and waited 30 seconds it wouldn't do that. It hasn't done that since I put in the electric fan. This is why I got the starter on wholesale closeout.
Any tricks or is this a straight forward job?

Old 06-26-2024, 11:42 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Yes I forgot to mention it though I have brought it up on here before.
It started a few years ago first thing in the morning first try it would just spin the pinion. Then it would start the second time. Occasionally it would take 3 tries. I discovered after a few times if I turned the key on and waited 30 seconds it wouldn't do that. It hasn't done that since I put in the electric fan. This is why I got the starter on wholesale closeout.
Any tricks or is this a straight forward job?
I just got done replacing my starter a few months back. I documented it in one of these threads. I’ll repeat what I know.

I did NOT disassemble the steering column. Mine has a roll pin holding it to the steering gear. That roll pin has become one with the shaft and there is little working room. My understanding is that roll pin wasn’t used in too many years. Mine is a ‘93.

Anyway, I was able to get to it from underneath. A short 5/8” box wrench is mandatory for clearance. There’s a bolt on top and another below (actually I think the lower one is a nut not a bolt). The lower one is easily accesible…piece of cake. The top one, just the opposite. You will have to be working 90% blind. Very hard to see up there. Feel your way thru it and bring your patience. I can assure you it’s doable. Just be patient.

Not a lot of swing room for your box wrench. Feel the box end around the top hex. Likely will need to hammer it loose or maybe some kind of cheater bar/device. Once loose, summon your patience to unscrew it the rest of the way. Will likely have to wrench about 30 degrees at a time meaning you gotta feel your way around every time. Eventually it should come loose enough to get a couple fingers on it to pull out the rest of the way by hand.

You may find a clamp-like clip thingy that is held on with that bolt and clamps up a couple trans coolant lines above to prevent the lines from drooping.

Gonna take some imagination snaking it past all the gizzards in the way but it can be done. Patience. Try and remember hiw you got it out so you can reverse it to get back in.

Be sure the starter is flush and square, can’t see thru the opening, etc before securing all the hardware. Getting that stupid clip thingy back is a pain and it wants to fight you. You just have to be tougher. Just be sure you’re happy that it is properly flush. Draw lines on the housing around the starter ears if you have to so you can see that it goes back in the same spot.

HY and I agree that it’s pretty hard to install a starter wrong. However, it’s possible on these Daks. I returned the first starter I installed because it was screeching loudly when I’d turn the key. Clearly the starter gear was not lining up with the flywheel. I got another starter and that solved the problem. But to be honest with you, I don’t think it was the starter. I’m convinced it was the installation. Be flush!!

You’ll have to detach and reattach the cables WHILE the starter is unbolted so you can tilt it to get wrenches on it. Now is also a good time to refurbish/replace the cables. I can reference you a new power cable source if you want it.

Dont forget to disconnect the ground cable on your battery before you start. Stuff the end in a sock or sumpin’ so it doesn’t touch other metal. Ask me why I tell you to use a sock.

Good luck. It can be done. Patience and a short 5/8” box wrench are the two most important tools.

Last edited by bronze; 06-26-2024 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:01 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

Thanks Bronze. Woke up to misty rain this morning and no interest in getting wet laying in it. It should dry up before the end of the day.

Old 06-27-2024, 11:15 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Thanks Bronze. Woke up to misty rain this morning and no interest in getting wet laying in it. It should dry up before the end of the day.
Ordinarily I'm not sure I'd spend the time going thru writing all those instructions. But knowing you as long as I have now I sense that you're more hard headed than even I am and you're not going to give up without a fight. I'm convinced if I soldiered through it, you will for sure.

Old 06-27-2024, 04:47 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

I went out to do it and it started right up. So I turned the wheels hard right while it was on. IDK if it is the OE starter but it looks exactly like the one I put in. Anyway I used a very long extension, well two of them I think it was 18" and 12 " and the ratchet was up a couple inches from the radiator. 5/16 and 1/2 sockets for the wire connectors which was hard but I'm grateful both wires are connected with that plastic piece. You have to flip it upside down to get it out. That's what you meant
Anyway just over an hour to set up do it and put everything away. I think the long extension made a difference in the time.

Old 06-27-2024, 07:52 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

I went out to do it and it started right up. So I turned the wheels hard right while it was on. IDK if it is the OE starter but it looks exactly like the one I put in. Anyway I used a very long extension, well two of them I think it was 18" and 12 " and the ratchet was up a couple inches from the radiator. 5/16 and 1/2 sockets for the wire connectors which was hard but I'm grateful both wires are connected with that plastic piece. You have to flip it upside down to get it out. That's what you meant
Anyway just over an hour to set up do it and put everything away. I think the long extension made a difference in the time.
Excellent!!

Quick Reply: I drove it this morning