2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Steering stabalizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 11:26 PM
03_SolidYukon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabalizer

Hey guys, I have a front dana 44 axle from a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and was wondering what bilstien shock fits stock stabalizer location because they don't make a kit it seems

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 370 Likes on 348 Posts

A shock and a stabilizer are two different things. They don't make one as per their web site. Plenty of others to choose from.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
03_SolidYukon

Originally Posted by Moparite
A shock and a stabilizer are two different things. They don't make one as per their web site. Plenty of others to choose from.
what would you recommend, I don't wanna put a peice of junk on the front

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 370 Likes on 348 Posts

Depends on how you drive and the conditions, Stock tires or lift?. All the stabilizer does is keep the steering wheel from being ripped out of your hand when you hit a pot hole/bump. It dampens any quick movements in the front end.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
03_SolidYukon

Originally Posted by Moparite
Depends on how you drive and the conditions, Stock tires or lift?. All the stabilizer does is keep the steering wheel from being ripped out of your hand when you hit a pot hole/bump. It dampens any quick movements in the front end.
if I'm being honest I Have no idea what lift it would be for a dodge, it's on my 2003 yukon that I solid swapped. It's definitely lifted from what stock would be for a 1500 though, I just want something to help everyday driving

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_SolidYukon
if I'm being honest I Have no idea what lift it would be for a dodge, it's on my 2003 yukon that I solid swapped. It's definitely lifted from what stock would be for a 1500 though, I just want something to help everyday driving
Make sure all the steering parts are in good condition, including the steering box.... that's generally where a lotta slop comes from. To find the rest, grab another warm body, have wb gently rock the steering wheel back and forth with the ignition unlocked, just to the point of feeling some resistance. (use two fingers....) You get to watch the steering gear. See what is moving that shouldn't, and what isn't moving, that should.

Steering stabilizer on my 98 is toast. I haven't bothered to replace it. There wasn't one on my 96, and I didn't miss it.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
03_SolidYukon

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Make sure all the steering parts are in good condition, including the steering box.... that's generally where a lotta slop comes from. To find the rest, grab another warm body, have wb gently rock the steering wheel back and forth with the ignition unlocked, just to the point of feeling some resistance. (use two fingers....) You get to watch the steering gear. See what is moving that shouldn't, and what isn't moving, that should.

Steering stabilizer on my 98 is toast. I haven't bothered to replace it. There wasn't one on my 96, and I didn't miss it.
most of my driving is on gravel and bumpy off roading which jerks the wheel somewhat, trying to minimize that with a steering stabalizer setup, I'm thinking dual hydros on front and another on the factory location

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Overkill.

All of the lift manufacturers also make steering stabilizer kits. If you have a dana axle from a dodge up front, just get one for the appropriate year/weight rating dodge truck, and call it a day. A dual stabilizer should be more than adequate to the task.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
03_SolidYukon

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Overkill.

All of the lift manufacturers also make steering stabilizer kits. If you have a dana axle from a dodge up front, just get one for the appropriate year/weight rating dodge truck, and call it a day. A dual stabilizer should be more than adequate to the task.
anything else you can think to make these axles smoother on the off road scene? It rides good now but just for future reference

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 03_SolidYukon
anything else you can think to make these axles smoother on the off road scene? It rides good now but just for future reference
Its the weight that gets ya. If you have big tires, that doesn't help either. Stabilizer is about all you can do though. That, and make sure all the linkages are tight.

Quick Reply: Steering stabalizer