Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Good Gen2 Mechanic in Utah??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2024 | 09:56 AM
FatMouse
|
Amateur
Default Good Gen2 Mechanic in Utah??

Hi all - I'm not exactly new here. Spend a lot of time in the Ram Van forum where folks have been amazing, so now hoping for some broader geography help.

Does anyone have a good mechanic they'd recommend in or around Utah? I'm currently traveling and am thinking of putting in a Redhead steering box to help with the famous steering slop issue.

Vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Van with the 5.2L V8. Automatic trans, 205k miles, conversion Van. At home, I'd try to do it myself. But I'm nervous to try it alone while on the road and while my girlfriend expects to sleep in it every night

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2024 | 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am on pretty much the other side of the continent from you, so, no help here..... Good Luck.

Old 10-15-2024 | 08:41 PM
ElkCon
Veteran

the only problem - well two problems - is the sheer weight of the box...it is a real PITA if you dont have a lift/tools and a nice floor to work...
Then the pitman arm R n R can be a pain - or it can go as smoothly as silk...there is no in between LOL

Old 10-15-2024 | 09:37 PM
Los_Control
Professional

Originally Posted by FatMouse
I'm currently traveling and am thinking of putting in a Redhead steering box to help with the famous steering slop issue.
OK I'm a dummy and know nothing about your famous issue ..... Is there not a adjustment on the steering box to pull the gears tighter?
Most boxes do, maybe Dodge does not?

I bought a 1 ton Ford E350 van cheap, $1K and it had a new crate engine installed, but drove terrible and employee's would not drive it ..... I bought it, spent 10 minute adjusting the steering box .... I drove it for over 15 years after that with no further front end work ... it just needed a simple adjustment.

I get you want to replace the steering box .... is there no adjustment on your existing box?

Old Yesterday | 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is actually two adjustments on the box, one can be done with the box installed, the other, box should be on the bench for.

Old Yesterday | 12:00 PM
FatMouse
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is actually two adjustments on the box, one can be done with the box installed, the other, box should be on the bench for.
Thanks guys. Re Los Control's point, I've seen the adjustment procedure mentioned a lot on here, and am going to try that first, hopefully the next time im parked on pavement.

I only know about the adjustment on top of the gear box that you do with a wrench and a hex. I don't know about the other adjustment mentioned, but if it requires removing the box to do it, I think I'd probably replace it with a Redhead.

Found one mechanic (recommended by Redhead) in Centerville, UT called Dave's Auto Care. They said they do Redhead installs all the time. But they want $1200 just for the labor. Is that insane? I'm nervous to try this alone in the AutoZone parking lot. But $1200 hurts!

Old Yesterday | 12:43 PM
Los_Control
Professional

Use the hex wrench to hold it in place while you loosen the nut .... turn the hex wrench 1/4 of a turn clockwise to tighten the gears and hold while you tighten the nut back up.

The way I was told is to not tighten more then 1/4 turn at a time .... hopefully that is all you need and will be fine. Or should improve your steering if that is your real issue.
You are pulling the gears closer together, and they need to wear in together ... pulling them in too much all at once would be bad and cause rough steering as the gears grind together .... just remember a little turn goes a long ways.

Old Yesterday | 04:31 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Originally Posted by FatMouse
I'm nervous to try this alone in the AutoZone parking lot.
You should be, it is not a project I recommend unless you are in a good place and have adequate tools. I recently replaced my steering gear and had to modify the mounting plate. But if you are so inclined to try it, I HIGHLY suggest you get a new pitman arm. I had to use a good puller, an impact wrench, and lots of heat to get mine off the old steering gear...it wasn't easy. The power steering fluid will pour out of the hoses when you disconnect them. So, you will need a pan to catch the fluid or risk getting tossed out of the parking lot for making a mess. Also, around here, the AutoZones have signs posted that no work is to be done in the parking lot, so make sure ahead of time it is okay to do it there. Lastly, check your local Craigslist for mechanics looking to do side work. It could end up being a lot less costly than a shop and easier than doing it yourself.

Old Yesterday | 05:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

1200 bucks is just way too much. Shouldn't be more than 3 to 4 hours labor at whatever they give rate is.

Quick Reply: Good Gen2 Mechanic in Utah??