2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hi/lo headlight beams issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
mechanic80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi/lo headlight beams issue

I have a distinct lo beam circuit and a separate hi beam circuit. Each position lights up only one of the two elements in the 9007 Bulb. But when I lift the stalk to go from hi to lo and hold it up, BOTH elements come on and it's like daylight! releasing the stalk at that point reverts to only the lo beam filament. Is this normal? The Hi beams only throw light further away and further down the road without any real increase in lighting output. I was thinking either somethin's wrong (the switch perhaps) or a remedy could be accomplished with a pair of relays, Anyone ever notice this? Any solutions to be had? There really is a huge difference when the lo and hi circuits are both active. Try it.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's normal for both high/low beams to come on when you pull back on the stalk. It's called "flash to pass."

Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

"Flash to Pass" is designed to really, REALLY get the attention of the person you're flashing (like that DuraMax 3500 who's decided he wants to be in your lane headed the other way ...)

I wouldn't leave it on long - the wiring is NOT designed to support all that current for very long.

RwP

Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

now if you could have them both running at the same time it would be like running modern projector style beams..

I really want projectors on my rig just the reviews for those Projectors are **** poor.

I've always appreciated the quality of light from both hi and low at the same time.. lol. I wish they would have just added high beam filiment activation instead of cutting lows off.. it would infact help you better see the road.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Actually, two things - 1) In a dual-filament bulb, having both on very long will usually overheat the bulb, causing it to fail. 2) No, having both on at the same time won't necessarily help you see further down the road, as a matter of fact, by having so much near field light, you can cause distance blindness (to see a stronger effect of this, turn on your dome light and see how much closer your "It's too dark out there!" point is ... )

But if you absolutely want both - add a set of driving lights to your truck. Use them instead of the high beams.

RwP

Old 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM
totalrecall
Amateur

Hi - if this interests you - I had tried the following when I had my 2002 Chevy Silverado - same issue only one set of lights were on at a time. This kit keeps the low and high beams on at the same time. I know folks on the Chevy forum also essentially made the kit themselves. Whether this will overheat anything I don't know, but something to consider.

www.painlessperformance.com

Go to page 80 of their catalog - of course only mentions GM trucks, but I suppose you could write or call to see if they have any other applications or info.

Mike

Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I don't get this thread. Someone called "Mechanic" discovers headlight flashing at the stalk, which has been around on every vehicle for decades and decades. Then, there is talk of how to keep it turned on. I guess there is no consideration of how all this light will blind oncoming drivers. There are enough people running around with high beams on all the time.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-27-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 PM
mechanic80
Default Headlamp issue

Thanks, Mike for your help. I'll look into that right away. As for Dodgevity not understanding the question let me be a bit more clear: I live in the Manzano mountains of New Mexico. I DO NOT go around with my brights on in traffic. In fact there practically is no traffic. The winding country roads are a real challenge especially with the deer and coyotes popping up unexpectedly. I was hoping there was a safe way to keep both beams on at the same time without having to hold the stalk up before reverting lo beam operation. If this is still unclear to you please feel free to call me at (505) EAT- #&@#. Of all the clubs I belong to this is the only one with smart alec wiseguys like yourself. If you haven't anything helpful to say, don't bother to respond. BTW, if you think you're being clever not just a D%#K, you're wrong.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic80
Thanks, Mike for your help. I'll look into that right away. As for Dodgevity not understanding the question let me be a bit more clear: I live in the Manzano mountains of New Mexico. I DO NOT go around with my brights on in traffic. In fact there practically is no traffic. The winding country roads are a real challenge especially with the deer and coyotes popping up unexpectedly. I was hoping there was a safe way to keep both beams on at the same time without having to hold the stalk up before reverting lo beam operation. If this is still unclear to you please feel free to call me at (505) EAT- #&@#. Of all the clubs I belong to this is the only one with smart alec wiseguys like yourself. If you haven't anything helpful to say, don't bother to respond. BTW, if you think you're being clever not just a D%#K, you're wrong.
Originally Posted by mechanic80
But when I lift the stalk to go from hi to lo and hold it up, BOTH elements come on and it's like daylight! releasing the stalk at that point reverts to only the lo beam filament. Is this normal?
Relax, I wasn't trying to be a d1ck or wiseguy. My post was sincere. I simply found it highly ironic, given your moniker, that you were seemingly unaware of such a ubiquitous feature. The kicker was when you said "try it". Given that level of ignorance, why would I think it beneath you to drive around with the light filaments strung together, blinding people?

If you live in the sticks with lots of deer, attach a deer whistle and get some off-road lights instead of trying to burn out your wiring. No need to thank me... have a good day.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-27-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

** Moderator hat on **

The forum is a place for discussion. Watch the comments.

** Moderator hat off **

Quick Reply: hi/lo headlight beams issue