2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1998 Dakota won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Chris Cox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dakota won't start

98 Dakota 3.9L w/auto tranny. After replacing tranny, was able to drive it about 3 miles and it acted like it had timing and or ignition issues, ran really rough and died. Threw code for crankshaft position sensor, replaced it and nothing happened, would turn over but wouldn't start. Replaced the sensor a second time (thinking the new one might be faulty) and the CPS sensor went away and the camshaft position sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 1 was present. After replacing said camshaft position sensor under the newly replaced distributor cap and rotor, the p0340 code never went away. The truck will turn over but will not start. Verified spark and could smell fuel from the carb but no fire. NOTE: After replacing tranny I also replaced MAP sensor, TPS sensor, dist. cap and rotor, plugs, wires and boots, coil pack and battery terminal connectors. Thinking the ECM might be bad but don't know how to test this. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 AM
97-SLT

Are you sure you got the plug wires back on in the right order? I would check that first then check each part you replaced making sure the connections are clean and tight.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

P0340 - no cam signal at PCM. Without that there is no fuel sync. The cam and crank position sensors use the same 5 volt supply and sensor ground. Check the harness carefully for any damage especially near the exhaust manifold (CKP).

Why did you replace all those sensors? Were there other faults?

Suggestion, use ONLY OEM sensors. There are many in this forum that have had problems with aftermarket sensors.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris ***
98 Dakota 3.9L w/auto tranny. After replacing tranny, was able to drive it about 3 miles and it acted like it had timing and or ignition issues, ran really rough and died. Threw code for crankshaft position sensor, replaced it and nothing happened, would turn over but wouldn't start. Replaced the sensor a second time (thinking the new one might be faulty) and the CPS sensor went away and the camshaft position sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 1 was present. After replacing said camshaft position sensor under the newly replaced distributor cap and rotor, the p0340 code never went away. The truck will turn over but will not start. Verified spark and could smell fuel from the carb but no fire. NOTE: After replacing tranny I also replaced MAP sensor, TPS sensor, dist. cap and rotor, plugs, wires and boots, coil pack and battery terminal connectors. Thinking the ECM might be bad but don't know how to test this. Any ideas?
A little confused on the "camshaft position sensor circuit bank1 sensor1 was present"? The only sensors I know on that engine that refer to bank1 sensor1 would be 02 sensors? Also....carburetor? My 98, 3.9 is fuel injected, was yours changed? Like suggested check that wiring, also check the plugs on the PCM as they have a tendency to work loose on this engine. If all of these fail and you suspect the PCM, I have one laying around for that truck but again mine is injected. Fuel pressure needs to be checked. I was one of those persons that replaced a crank sensor and it was bad out of the box so it really threw me a curve.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
A little confused on the "camshaft position sensor circuit bank1 sensor1 was present"? The only sensors I know on that engine that refer to bank1 sensor1 would be 02 sensors?
He's using a code reader with generic codes. There is only one camshaft position sensor on the 3.9 (in the distributor) but there are engines that have more than one - hence the description of the code.

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
Also....carburetor?
I'm assuming he means throttle body.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a pinched wire to me

Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Chris Cox

Yes, replaced them one for one.