1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Lucas Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Oil

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get everyones opinion that has used or knows about Lucas oil as I recently have been fearing the worst about my tranny as it shifts very hard sometimes and seems to slip about once a day at least. So while in the parts store I voiced this issues with a friend and he told me about Lucas oil and seeing as it was only 10 bucks I bought it and used it. At first I noticed that it was immediately shifting without realizing it and has also reduced the RMPS from just over 20,000 at 70-MPG to just under 20,000 at 72 MPH. So far so good but I still notice a hard shift from time to time but no more slipping.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lucas Oil

lucas is some good stuff in my opinion. It helped out my trans. too. when i first got my truck a lifter was ticking and he rearend was whining, so i put some of the heavy duty oil stabilizer in both and they were fine, the rear makes no noise at all now. and that was 60,000 miles ago!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Overall I have to say that I am very impressed with the "fix". I certainly didnt expect a 10 dollar drop in product to help so much. I was just curious if anyone had any problems that I could be watching out for.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
jlbritt1
Rookie

Lucas prodcts have been in every vehicle I've owned (12 or more in the last 20 yrs) or driven (I drove 18 wheelers OTR for 5+ yrs, and still drive them in-state) and never have had a problem from using any of thier stuff. I'm a big Lucas fan.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
flyers win the cup
Professional

transmission shift and slip problems are two different things. if you have shift problems, the bands or governor valve need to be adjusted. the haynes manual will tell you how to adjust these. the governor is easy to adjust, on 87 to 91 it's a rod, on 92 to 96 it's a cable on the outside of the tranny.for the band adjustments you will have to drop thetransmission pan.

if you drive on the the highway and push the pedal down and the enginge rpm goes up but the speed remains the same, you have slippage. i also noticed a vibration at 50 mph with a slipping tranny. thats awhole different world of problems, and it does not sound like
yours, in my opinion you just need an adjustment. i adjusted mine and it shifts like a dream, but it'a still in bad shape from the slippage.

i have used lucas trans fix and fluid changes for five years and she is still on the road. without it the truck vibrates too much and the tranny slips bad

two thumbs up to lucas trans fix for a slipping tranny, as forshift problems i don't know how wellit works.

hope this helps. Paul

Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

I adjusted the reverse band while the pan was dropped to replace the filter. The Forward bandadjustment is on the outside of the tranny and accessible with no problem. I just need to borrow or buy the proper socket that fits over the adjustment screw/bolt.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 PM
95dodgesport

lucas= awesome stuff

Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 PM
noodle
Professional

Agreed, Lucas makes some good products.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil