1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Some interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
myfirstruckdak93
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some interior questions

Wondering if theres a place/site where I could buy an aftermarket dash bezel for a dodge dakota with a new design. Some guy on here cammoed his, but he used tape or something and even though Im an outdoors kind of guy that hunts, Im not looking to cammo my vehicle up. So I could either spray paint my original wood grain one, but I don't think that would look very good nor last very long. I know when I first purchased my truck i saw a site that sold them, but I think the only design there was, was cammo.

Another thing I was wondering was if anybody has used duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint on there interior. Not really plannin on doing it unless I hear somebody say it looks good, and it lasts without chipping or fadding away cuz I think a blacked out interior would look a lot better than the outdated red interior.

My last question: Would this fix a sagging headliner: say i cut a hole in the headliner big enough to slip the nozzle of a spray can in there and using some strong spray adhesive stuff push the nozzle against the ceiling creating the bottle to spray in the space where the headliner is sagging and the ceiling, getting the headliner wet with spray adhesive than rub headliner against the ceiling and let it dry. Then to cover up the hole put a tack there. The only thing I would need would be pressure against the head liner while its drying. But could this fix a sagging headliner....NOTE this is just an idea.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes a few spray painted theres. A few have bought an aluminum replacement. I believe they bought it from www.ebay.com .

It is possible to do it your way. But you may get some wrinkles or bubbles. It is best to remove it then spray the liner. So you can stretch it and get all wrinkles.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your headline isn't about to fall on your head (drooping badly), you can stretch it back into place under the interior roof trim...then smooth it down across the roof and use some spiral upholstery tacks to hold it up...you can get the tacks in colors to kinda match your truck/liner color. Not high-tech, but it works and how often to you stare at/evaluate your head liner anyway? If it's literally hanging way down on your head, the only solution is pull the seats, rip out the old and replace/reglue some new liner fabric in there.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
mfpudak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to remove the whole headliner and backing without destroying it and I have an extended cab. I've yet to re-upholster it, still looking for some fabric.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
LO 619
Captain

Originally Posted by myfirstruckdak93
Wondering if theres a place/site where I could buy an aftermarket dash bezel for a dodge dakota with a new design. Some guy on here cammoed his, but he used tape or something and even though Im an outdoors kind of guy that hunts, Im not looking to cammo my vehicle up. So I could either spray paint my original wood grain one, but I don't think that would look very good nor last very long. I know when I first purchased my truck i saw a site that sold them, but I think the only design there was, was cammo.

Another thing I was wondering was if anybody has used duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint on there interior. Not really plannin on doing it unless I hear somebody say it looks good, and it lasts without chipping or fadding away cuz I think a blacked out interior would look a lot better than the outdated red interior.

My last question: Would this fix a sagging headliner: say i cut a hole in the headliner big enough to slip the nozzle of a spray can in there and using some strong spray adhesive stuff push the nozzle against the ceiling creating the bottle to spray in the space where the headliner is sagging and the ceiling, getting the headliner wet with spray adhesive than rub headliner against the ceiling and let it dry. Then to cover up the hole put a tack there. The only thing I would need would be pressure against the head liner while its drying. But could this fix a sagging headliner....NOTE this is just an idea.
YES, you can spray paint the bezel and I would recommend it. I sprayed mine, but am going to re-spray with a satin or gloss black. Follow these steps if you plan on doing yours

1. clean it VERY well. Make sure you get all the dirt and crap out out of all the tiny spaces.

2. mask off the the ac vents just before you spray (too many moving parts IMO and they are already black).

3. They make rustoleum and krylon spray paints for plastic. Either should work well and last, although I lean more towards rustoleum brand. Before you mask and spray I recommend doing 1 or these 2 steps, either wetsand the surfaces to be painted with a 600, or 800 grit or spay it with an ADHESION PROMOTER. This will ensure that you have the best finish.

4. After the paint dries wipe it down with a tack cloth or some other dry cloth to remove any paint particulate that didn't settle.

As for the headliner thye best temp fix is to buy some upholstery pins (look like mini cork screws). They will keep it from annoying you. And when you're ready to re-upholster it 3M makes a headliner glue and you just use a fabric of your choice.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to mention one correction to LO_619's step 3 based on several years experience working in a body shop. Don't use sandpaper to scuff up the dash because it's impossible to hit the low points of the textured surface with a peice of sandpaper. Instead, use a GREY Scotchbrite pad. I say grey because they are comparible to 800-1000 grit sandpaper. Scuff it wet using a bucket of wax free car wash soap or dishwashing detergent. This will make sure you get any grease, dirt, etc. off the dash. If there was EVER, at any point in the trucks life, ArmorAll put on the dash, you need to clean it and reclean it and reclean it until you are sure there is none left!

Also, almost any adhesion promotor will work, but DuPont makes one specifically for automotive plastic, like interior panels and car bumpers, ect. If you have an Auto Body supply shop in your area, go there and ask for that!

And remember these words... The finished product is only going to be as good as the prep work you're willing to put into it!!!!! You can train a monkey to spray the paint, but its the quality of the prep work that will determine how good it comes out.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 01-20-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
LO 619
Captain

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I'm going to mention one correction to LO_619's step 3 based on several years experience working in a body shop. Don't use sandpaper to scuff up the dash because it's impossible to hit the low points of the textured surface with a peice of sandpaper. Instead, use a GREY Scotchbrite pad. I say grey because they are comparible to 800-1000 grit sandpaper. Scuff it wet using a bucket of wax free car wash soap or dishwashing detergent. This will make sure you get any grease, dirt, etc. off the dash. If there was EVER, at any point in the trucks life, ArmorAll put on the dash, you need to clean it and reclean it and reclean it until you are sure there is none left!

Also, almost any adhesion promotor will work, but DuPont makes one specifically for automotive plastic, like interior panels and car bumpers, ect. If you have an Auto Body supply shop in your area, go there and ask for that!

And remember these words... The finished product is only going to be as good as the prep work you're willing to put into it!!!!! You can train a monkey to spray the paint, but its the quality of the prep work that will determine how good it comes out.
I would take 318's advice on the scotchbrite pad. I haven't used them but they have advantages over sandpaper. It's an easy job so just have fun with it. Take some pics when your done so we can check it out!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 AM
LO 619
Captain

The cup holder tray actually slides out. I wasn't aware it came out when I did mine.

Also... if you use a plastic paint an adhesion promoter isn't truly necessary.... IMO. Just remember that it takes a little while for the paint to harden or "cure" so don't do any scratch tests or anything for awhile.

Last edited by LO 619; 01-20-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 AM
myfirstruckdak93
Rookie

So bottom line just for my dash bezel not the whole interior....

Hot Soap & Water and a brush, to clean all previous cleaners off.

A scotchbrite pad or I was thinking maybe steel wool?

Adhesion Promoter: is this really necessary to buy for $7

Then 1 can of Duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint (only using that because I no I can get it at O'Reileys for like $8 and supposedly there is addhesion promoter in the paint itself)

Remaining Thoughts:

What Colors should I use for the whole interior, Im thinking a two tone. Like black and silver, but I dont want it looking like a rebelious teenager interior like this one http://www.streetkiaz.com/streetkiaz...otos/12593.jpg. I want simple colors that are not unordinary colors for a cars interior. Like blue, yellow, fire red, or anything like that.

What parts besides the trim bezel, and seats should I take out, or need to take out.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steel wool is too coarse. You can pick up the scotchbrite pads in a pack of 2 at most hardware/home improvment stores for less than $3.

If you are using the duplicolor paint, I would say the adhesion promoter is not a neccessity. I've used that duplicolor paint on my interior parts with good success, but if you aren't using an adhesion promoter, make double sure the parts are clean and scuffed thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Some interior questions