1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump / Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM
dnbinc
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump / Filter?

After dropping off grandma for the July 4th stuff.. the truck died like out of gas.

I can still hear the pump pressurize before starting the engine.. it will start but won't idle. I can drive for small distances but only if the pedal is floored, it won't idle.

it is a '95 Dakota SLT 4x4 with a 5.2L.

Any ideas?

Dave

Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
dnbinc
Amateur
Default update!

ok I went to where it broke down and it started right up... was able to drive 7 miles and then it started dying.

the speedometer and tach drop to zero even while doing 55 as if the whole cluster looses power and the whole while the engine acts like it's dying or has no fuel. eventually it won't run at all until it cools off again....

so once again, any ideas?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If idleing iis your only problem then I would say it is a bad IAC Idle Air Control valve. They are a common problem. But if your gauges is acting up too you may have a wiring issue.

First if you keep your foot on the gas slightly to keep an idle like 800RPMs or so does it die?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
dnbinc
Amateur

no it idles perfectly. I read over the ASD issue thread and going to try that in the morning. I will post my findings then.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
dnbinc
Amateur

ok so I got it all tore down, someone has already performed the power junction repair. I did notice that if I remove and then replace the ASD relay the truck will start back up, so I swapped the relay from the A/C unit in an effort to test it. I didn't make it 100 feet before it died again.

Also when we towed it, I noticed that the speedometer did not function at all, I know it is not cable driven, but shouldn't it still function when moving?

another side note, is it possible there is something cause the ASD to trigger? the fuel gauge has been stuck at full since I bought the truck and I just assumed a sending unit problem, but saturday it began to function again, well it worked until it hit 3/4 full and then got stuck again....

Through all of this I am assuming it is something electrical.

Any clue?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
dnbinc
Amateur

ok.. so is it safe to maybe just bypass the ASD relay? cause I cannot figure out why it keeps shutting down.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bypassing the ASD relay will get you where you need to go but its not the "safest" option. If you get in an accident the engine may not shut off which is bad. Also there may be a short or some sort of wiring issue which may cause a lot more problems.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
dnbinc
Amateur

Did the bypass with no luck I am super baffled now.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump / Filter?