1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Alternate options to carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate options to carpet?

I'll be honest with you guys.
The previous owners of my truck weren't kind to the interior. The carpet is fricking gross. Everytime I clean up my messes in there I find something from them and I've cleaned that thing pretty damn good I think.

Anyways I've heard its pretty hard to get replacement carpet for these trucks aside from getting it custom. To be honest I could care less about carpet so i'm considering ripping it out one of these days. Actually a coworker gave me a pretty good idea on what to do when I rip it out.

Instead of leaving it bare metal or putting new carpet in there. What do you guys think of using bedliner for the flooring? Easy to vacuum and scrub, no lingering odors from almost 20 years ago either.

I'm considering it. What do you guys think?

If anyone has any experience with this strange idea the pros and cons would be nice to hear about also.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
rj67bu
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can finish it anyway you want it, and you wouldnt have to worry about rust thats for sure. It acts as a sound deadener but without carpet might be a little noisier. turn the radio up a little.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
DakotaDiana
Amateur

My carpet is also gross but im thinking of removing it and washing the hell out of it with all kinds of cleaners..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Haha if I wanted a quiet cab I woulda bought something with a 4 cyl.

Thanks I think I'm gonna go for the bedliner bit with it.
We'll see when I can tear the interior apart and get me some Liner to do it.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie

I put bedliner in my old 89 toyota pickup. It was loud as hell and wasn't insulated well in winter. What I'd suggest is go down to Lowes or Home Depot and get some rubber or asphalt sheets with the adhesive backs to use as sound dampeners and insulators, then put the bed liner over that.

Oh yeah, and buy a mask to wear when lining it. That stuff is toxic. I really really wish I would have waited, but for some reason all the stores around me were sold out of masks.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Ging93kota

Friend of mine did this to his Jeep TJ its great and the noise dont matter in it with the noise of the Chevy v8 under the hood

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
marcar1993
Captain

My truck has a bed lined floor. Not a bad idea, but it is LOUD AS HELL on the highway. (Also have no headliner). One other issue is that is isn't as easy to clean as you may think. I have some mudlike crap on the floor that is kinda ingrained into the bedliner... But oh well. Honestly unless you are a serious offroader put a carpet in it. If its a real work truck and it'll get dirty, get a rubber mat. However, bed liner will work if you're set on it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

Damn you guys for making this hard for me lol.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 AM
khalimadeath

My buddies Blazer has it in it and it still looks dirty and just makes it feel noisy and empty when i sit in it.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
T.C.
Professional

Well what other things can you do for the interior cause I am at the point of rehauling my interior, I have now all the parts, lights, and custom stuff for it except what I can do with the carpet. Or even where can you get the carpet if I choose that road.

Quick Reply: Alternate options to carpet?