1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

bleeding breaks not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
DaisyDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bleeding breaks not working

ok so i had to replace my caliper in the truck and i bled the brakes before and no problem but this time around its not going to well. i turn the truck on and the pedal goes to the floor and my wife is doing that while i open the valve and its not gettin better but when i have it on accessories it stiffens up. when i turn it on again it goes to the floor, and repeat still same problem iv gone through 2 bottles now and getting frustrated. any ideas or reasons am i doing it wrong? and i cant get my pics to upload still new here haha.

Last edited by DaisyDakota; 06-09-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
DaisyDakota

my bad for the typos "brakes" but still need help i need it running ad stopping by tomorrow so please help

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Let's make sure you're going through all the steps in the right order...

Start on the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front, then driver front (someone else chime in - do these have a proportioning valve that needs to be bled too?)

On each caliper, do the following procedure with the truck turned off. It is crucial that the pedal is on the floor (or being pressed towards the floor if it can't hit the floor completely) whenever the bleeder is opened.
1) Pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump pump (that's ten pumps) and keep the pedal on the floor.
2) Crack open the bleeder valve, then close the bleeder valve after the flow stops.
3) Return to step 1. Repeat until no bubbles. If you wanna be sure, pick up some ATE Super Blue brake fluid. The different color makes it really easy (and it's really good, but expensive, fluid). Periodically check the master cylinder to ensure it has enough fluid.
4) Close and tighten the bleeder and move on to the next caliper.

If you have been doing all these steps properly and it's still not working, then you have a bigger problem - leaky MC or something.

Last edited by BKCowGod; 06-10-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 AM
DaisyDakota

awesome dude thanks ill do that as soon as i can thank you for your help.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

My pleasure... I edited to point out that if the pedal can't be pushed all the way to the floor, it's okay - as long as your helper doesn't let it UP with the valve open.

This was my first job when I was 6 years old, helping my dad do brakes on his Mustang GT. I still get nostalgic when I bleed... Literally one of my earliest memories was shouting "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 FLOOR!" and him shouting "OPEN - CLOSED"

My kid is 12 - way past the age where he should be helping me! Maybe I'll have him do the valley pan gasket and ported throttle body install for me. Can't be too hard, right? :P

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 AM
DaisyDakota

ya same here when i was young i was always helping my grandpa with the tractor or the truck i have now and one and a while the old land cruiser haha. but ya start them out young its a good thing to get into of you make it a profession there is good money but not only that, doing what you love. shouldnt be to hard for him he can fit in the bay and get his hands in all the tight spaces hahahaha.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM
cd36
Professional

One note, I find it helps if I close the bleeder before the flow stops. If you close it before the flow stops you are closing it under pressure, and there is no chance for air to get sucked in. If you just open the valve and let the flow stop you could potentially let air back in.

And make sure you always have a full reservoir while bleeding, check every couple of bleeds.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
DaisyDakota

Thanks a lot guys it really helped i never had any problems with until now, everything that is on it is still what came with the truck eventually it will all be changed. thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: bleeding breaks not working