1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5.3l GM in 1995 Dakota 5.2l?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM
crane_andrew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l GM in 1995 Dakota 5.2l?

Hello all, brand new to the sight. My main ride broke down so I bought a 95 Dakota 4x4 power windows for 500$. It now has 200400 miles on it and the transmission bangs hard in between 1 and 2, with this many miles on the motor and its always on the beach so its complete rust on the underside. I know you can generally find the 5.3l vortec out of the 2000-2006 chevy 1500s for pretty cheap and would LOVE the horsepower and mpg increase. It seems to be a manageable project but I figured I would put it on here. Thanks! Let me know your opinions and or experience doing something similar.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I have no experience in this, but my perusing finds:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ge-dakota.html

http://lsdak.com/

And several other links.

RwP

Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

there's reasons Chevy motors are cheap. Don't go there, keep your Dodge all Dodge!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1553358-world-s-easiest-5-3-swap-dodge-dakota.html

This is the link you want to look at. And yes you should do it. Don't listen to the butthurt Mopar purist. They're just mad because even after they spend $1500 or more on their Magnum it still doesn't make the power a vortec v8 can make factory. And their Magnum still gets worse mpg at that. (I know, who cares about mpgs when you're going for go, but why not have both)

Quick over view of the swap:

the Magnum engine uses an AC Delco pump. Guess who else uses mainly AC Delco? GM! Anyways, the power steering pump is on the right side, and the lines plug right together with no adapters.

So do the fuel lines.

For the engine mounts, you can marry the Mopar bottom to the GM top and be done with that.

Transmission mount, wallow out one hole and make a small adapter that's done.

Transmission tunnel is perfect minus a small pinch weld you need to hammer down. And it's just a very small ordeal.

Manifolds clear with room to spare.

Battery and starter stuff is in the correct location

As is the front diff drop for 4wd.

Adapters can make almost everything OK the Dakota dash work.

When I get the $$$$$$$$$ I'm going 6.0 vortec out of an SS Silverado. And I'm going to post it to every damned Mopar site I can find and let their eyes bleed.

Now with all that said, I love my 5.2 Magnum. It's as reliable as a brick. But, they're just not worth putting any money in for go fast goodies. The engine power is a turd. And you polish a turd it's still a turd. Mopar really failed when the made the Magnum. There was so much potential they could have gave it.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:30 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

some people just won't learn.... you WANT Chevy BUY a damned Chevy.... Keep your GM ALL GM and keep your Dodge all Dodge.... If I wanted a Chevy or to hear about them I sure as He11 would NOT be here! I don't buy vehicles to race, I have plenty of speeding tickets as it is/ but that reliability you speak of is why I drive a DODGE! and working on all of the brands over the years as my means to put food on the table only reinforces that..... the more I see Chevys at work, the less I want anything to do with one for a daily driver.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
When I get the $$$$$$$$$ I'm going 6.0 vortec out of an SS Silverado. And I'm going to post it to every damned Mopar site I can find and let their eyes bleed.
why not just build the SS Silverado? The SS body is so much nicer than any dakota. It would be like putting a srt viper truck engine in a colorado. Great engine but turd body.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by primem
why not just build the SS Silverado? The SS body is so much nicer than any dakota. It would be like putting a srt viper truck engine in a colorado. Great engine but turd body.

Aesthetics are personal preference, mechanical reliability is fact. If I wanted a Chevy, I'd buy the Chevy.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by volaredon
some people just won't learn.... you WANT Chevy BUY a damned Chevy.... Keep your GM ALL GM and keep your Dodge all Dodge.... If I wanted a Chevy or to hear about them I sure as He11 would NOT be here! I don't buy vehicles to race, I have plenty of speeding tickets as it is/ but that reliability you speak of is why I drive a DODGE! and working on all of the brands over the years as my means to put food on the table only reinforces that..... the more I see Chevys at work, the less I want anything to do with one for a daily driver.

Good thing god made dodge, that's the staple of your work. Mopar for 97% of their vehicles are nothing but a giant pile of ****.

Your "keep GM GM and keep Mopar Mopar" is that retarded purist bull**** I was talking about.

Guess who makes the power steering pumps on older Dakota's, AC Delco. Gasp! The same thing GM uses! Get over it! Like they say, if you have nothing useful to add keep your mouth shut, or one day someone just might shut it for you.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:21 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Guess who makes the power steering pumps on older Dakota's, AC Delco. Gasp! The same thing GM uses! Get over it! Like they say, if you have nothing useful to add keep your mouth shut, or one day someone just might shut it for you.
Look in the damn mirror/ pot calling the kettle black...
as I remember you're about 1/2 my age, so have less than 1/2 the work experience, and no, for your info, Fords are mostly where my work experience comes from especially since I got the job that I have now, which I have had for more than a few years.... I wish I knew where you get the BS that you spout....

Old 03-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by volaredon
Look in the damn mirror/ pot calling the kettle black...
as I remember you're about 1/2 my age, so have less than 1/2 the work experience, and no, for your info, Fords are mostly where my work experience comes from especially since I got the job that I have now, which I have had for more than a few years.... I wish I knew where you get the BS that you spout....
you being older is not equal to more experience. You have much to learn. Obviously there's not many dodges in your town. Deny facts all you want, in the end, it just makes YOU want. It just makes you look stupid.

Someday you might see the light, but i doubt it. You seem to stupid to be able to change your mind now. Good day sir, wasted enough time here with your pea brain antics.