1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

transfer shift options

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default transfer shift options

I am in the middle of installing a NV3500 transmission out of a 2002 dakota, into my 87 dakota.
Well the transmission is in, I have the transfer case mounted, was getting ready to install the shifter for the transfer case and realized the NV3500 does not have the bosses on the transmission to mount the shifter.
Below are some pictures.

Here is the orig. nv2500 transmission and you can see the bosses
Name:  20170610_113707_zpsf2trj11c.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  267.5 KB

Here is the NV3500 installed and as you can see, no bosses
Name:  20170610_113804_zpsldgreybt.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  254.1 KB

And here is my 87 shifter

Name:  20170610_121643%201_zpsqhuukl9w.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  275.3 KB

Does anyone have any suggestions on using a different year shifter or how to modify to use my existing shifter.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I am in the middle of installing a NV3500 transmission out of a 2002 dakota, into my 87 dakota.
Well the transmission is in, I have the transfer case mounted, was getting ready to install the shifter for the transfer case and realized the NV3500 does not have the bosses on the transmission to mount the shifter.

Does anyone have any suggestions on using a different year shifter or how to modify to use my existing shifter.
Did '02 have electronic 4X range selection? That's strange they would have gone to the trouble and expense of eliminating those mount bosses.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:17 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89
Did '02 have electronic 4X range selection? That's strange they would have gone to the trouble and expense of eliminating those mount bosses.

I didnt look at the truck it came out of. I can tell you, the shift console, he gave me, and looking at it, there was no shifter coming up besides the transmission.
I hope to come up with something. Ive come too far to turn back

Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM
ragged89
All Star

I didnt look at the truck it came out of. I can tell you, the shift console, he gave me, and looking at it, there was no shifter coming up besides the transmission.
I hope to come up with something. Ive come too far to turn back
Looking at the picture of your old trans, could you use that as a base to design a mounting bracket? It looks like two of the transfer case bolts could serve to support the rear of the bracket, and possibly one or two of the transmission case bolts on the NV (where it splits) could support the front (you might have to get longer bolts/studs). Maybe mock up the rear half of the bracket on the old trans to get the proper location for the transfer case holes and the shifter's mounting holes, then move it to the NV to locate the front support. I just noticed what looks like a thick tab sticking out the side of the NV; maybe that could be drilled out to serve as a front mounting boss.

I've used .25" ply to model brackets like that. I make 2 identical models, assemble one with epoxy glue (no clamping required) to get the fit right, and a second one left unassembled to trace out the pieces on .25" steel plate. A bandsaw is great for cutting out the pieces, but of course a scroll/jig saw does fine too. I take the models to a guy downtown to weld for me, as that's a skill I lack.

Last edited by ragged89; 06-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 AM
ragged89
All Star

Did some looking around and it seems Novak sells a transfer case shifter and bracket (#SK2X) for use with NP207, NP231, etc. It works with practically any transmission. Price is $156. Their description:

"As the transfer case bracket attaches to two of the mounting locations for the transfer case itself and is independent of the transmission, it will fit nearly all transmission applications. There is a large amount of adjustability in this shifter in all directions."

Here's a link to the Novak page. There are several custom shift assemblies on this page but the one at the top of the page seems to work with more transfer cases, including the NP207:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x/

Last edited by ragged89; 06-11-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added part no.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89
Did some looking around and it seems Novak sells a transfer case shifter and bracket (#SK2X) for use with NP207, NP231, etc. It works with practically any transmission. Price is $156. Their description:

"As the transfer case bracket attaches to two of the mounting locations for the transfer case itself and is independent of the transmission, it will fit nearly all transmission applications. There is a large amount of adjustability in this shifter in all directions."

Here's a link to the Novak page. There are several custom shift assemblies on this page but the one at the top of the page seems to work with more transfer cases, including the NP207:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x/

Thanks for this link. I had looked at that, but even though it has adjustment, It appears the adjustment goes the wrong way. It would be putting the shifter against, or under the seat.

I am going to try and look and see if its possible to make a mount for the orig. shifter. Or possibably converting to a cable and then mount the shifter to the body.

I would have liked to have kept the orig. shifter.

Last resort will be to leave 2wd for now, and start looking for another transmission.

I am having one other problem with the transmission shifter and I posted in 2nd gen. but so far no response. Would you mind looking at that post and give me your advise? Thanks.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rt-needed.html

Old 06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
ragged89
All Star

Thanks for this link. I had looked at that, but even though it has adjustment, It appears the adjustment goes the wrong way. It would be putting the shifter against, or under the seat.

I am going to try and look and see if its possible to make a mount for the orig. shifter. Or possibably converting to a cable and then mount the shifter to the body.

I would have liked to have kept the orig. shifter.

Last resort will be to leave 2wd for now, and start looking for another transmission.

I am having one other problem with the transmission shifter and I posted in 2nd gen. but so far no response. Would you mind looking at that post and give me your advise? Thanks.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rt-needed.html
I'm inclined to agree with the opinions on the 2nd gen forum regarding finding NV3500 shifter parts. The small rubber boot on the shift tower for instance. Mine was torn and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere, only a complete shift tower.

Those bushings are probably the same story. If it were mine, I'd probably see if I could make my own. I'd probably use the slots they drop into as a mold and pour a "hard" liquid urethane in them. There are some tricks to use when doing molds like that, and I'd be happy to share if you wanted to try. Of course it's also a little tedious and time consuming, maybe not best if you're not blessed with time. There is the option of finding a complete shift tower on eBay.

I tend to like the challenge of fabricating parts when faced with scarcity or expensive options, or because no one makes the thing I want. Sometimes that approach isn't practical for me though, and it may not be for you in this case.

Here's a link to McMaster Carr, for urethane casting compound:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane/=180u5au

Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Hey Ragged89,

In time, I would like to consider pouring molds and could sure use your advise. For now, I am going to go to a local hardware store and see if they have any nylon bushings I could cut down to get it to work for now.
There is a company that makes an aftermarket shifter, using hurst parts, but its like $269.00
I need to put the rear driveshaft in, hopefully rig up some shifter bushings, and put the exhaust back on the truck. Then, at least, I can drive it. Make sure there are no other surprises before I spend anymore on this transmission.
Much more, and Im going to start looking for another transmission. The bright side is, at least I know what to look for now!!