1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need some help from the professionals.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
viziers
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
One last thing. Have you read the TSB about the plug wiring on these motors?

You may have crossed wires causing a misfire on only one cylinder.

RwP
Unfortunately all to many times, The way they have tou run those wires is crazy. I may look for some kind of insulating covering to eliminate that rats nest.

vizi

Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Better quality plug wires is the hot ticket.

Does the engine run fine when cold, and slowly get worse as it warms up? How old are your O2 sensors? If they have been replaced, what brand did you install?

Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Better quality plug wires is the hot ticket.

Does the engine run fine when cold, and slowly get worse as it warms up? How old are your O2 sensors? If they have been replaced, what brand did you install?
There are times when it runs a tad bit better when it is cold but does get worse. The O2 sensor was replaced some time back with a bosch sensor or a denso but leaning more towards it being a bosch one. Now I know the OBD I units are old and do not capture all the issues that are programmed in todays ECU's but if the O2 was degrading wouldn't it show up as an issue with the "check Engine" light comming on or Mmmm not so much?

What plug wires are you referring to? As there aren't very many options other than making your own.

vizi

Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Not so much on the O2; it responds slowly, but not badly enough for the ECU to catch that it's not quite accurate.

Badly enough that it can affect how the engine runs, though!

As to spark plug wire choices - RockAuto lists 16 different sets, including 4 of what they call "premium". That seems like quite a few choices to me!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+wire+set,7224

RwP

Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Here is a TSB for plug wire routing. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v6.htm
As I recall it made a slight diff I cannot define right now on my 3.9. I want to say it didn't lose responsiveness when it got to full temp. The pedal is equally mushy cold or hot now
If you look at the link Ralph provided the premium wires have some corrugated stuff on them. That is the "convolute" described in the TSB. I think that is the extra heat shield.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Not so much on the O2; it responds slowly, but not badly enough for the ECU to catch that it's not quite accurate.

Badly enough that it can affect how the engine runs, though!

As to spark plug wire choices - RockAuto lists 16 different sets, including 4 of what they call "premium". That seems like quite a few choices to me!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+wire+set,7224

RwP
Well yes there is always good ole rock auto. I had bougt a lot of parts from them when I fist got the truck in 2006. They have the same selection as most parts stores IE, advance and autozone and O'rilley's. which quality is not any better than the stores and the ones I am using are the AC delco "premium" ones (paid more at parts store of course) and this is the second set within the last 15k miles. So I probably should rephrase that to there are not mant options better than what I am using now. lol

vizi

Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Here is a TSB for plug wire routing. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v6.htm
As I recall it made a slight diff I cannot define right now on my 3.9. I want to say it didn't lose responsiveness when it got to full temp. The pedal is equally mushy cold or hot now
If you look at the link Ralph provided the premium wires have some corrugated stuff on them. That is the "convolute" described in the TSB. I think that is the extra heat shield.

Yup I am aware of the TSB and I even added more of the plastic corrugated tubing stuff to the wires for added insulation. I appreciate all the suggestions as Most I have already done but please keep them comming as there may some tidbit I have not thought of or was mentioned by someone else.

vizi

Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Building your own isn't hard to do. Summit sells kits for a decent price. Get a good brand kit, get the pliers, build you a decent set, maybe a set of 9mm wires, then upgrade your coil to one that puts out a little more juice.... Make sure you have a very good clean spark....

Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think you should try swapping out the distributor pickup and crank sensor tho

Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Building your own isn't hard to do. Summit sells kits for a decent price. Get a good brand kit, get the pliers, build you a decent set, maybe a set of 9mm wires, then upgrade your coil to one that puts out a little more juice.... Make sure you have a very good clean spark....
Funny thing I do have a roll of ignigion wire My late dad had for many years.... Wonder if it is any good? I agree with you it can't be too hard. The coil has been replaced with a new one 2k ago.

vizi

Quick Reply: Need some help from the professionals.