1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heavy Duty Shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course I'm wrong. Adding a coilover shock to your leafspring truck will make no difference. Those extra springs won't change the ride of your truck at all, won't be any change in overall spring rate or rebound rate. It'll ride smooth as butter, soak up every bump you hit, and it will handle any load you put in the bed.... Or not

Old 04-24-2018, 11:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Actually, eveything being optimal, 2200 lbs in the bed is just fine. Id put 2200lbs in my truck if it weren't for the slush box.

This is just another example of, beware what you read on the internet. Check against other sources, and check the qualifications of the author of statements

That being said, first check your owners manual.
Past that, look at ratings by various companies.
FWIW given the same engine, same rearend gear ratio, etc. an automatic (slush box) transmission will be rated with a higher towing capacity then the 5 speed. And I like 5 speeds!!

Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Of course I'm wrong. Adding a coilover shock to your leafspring truck will make no difference. Those extra springs won't change the ride of your truck at all, won't be any change in overall spring rate or rebound rate. It'll ride smooth as butter, soak up every bump you hit, and it will handle any load you put in the bed.... Or not
with in reason every part youre being sarcastic about it true. I have them on my truck. So, ya know. Id take you for a ride if you were close.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah just because you did it that makes it fact? Do you not have any real technical knowledge as a mechanic? I'm all for shade tree and backyard mechanics. But when you don't have any actual technical knowledge to share, only what you or your buddy did or what you can Google real quick, then don't argue that you're right when literally everyone is contradicting you. I love giving someone advice to help them, but only when it comes to what I know. If I have an opinion I make sure the people I'm giving advice to know it's just an opinion. Being a mechanic is what I do for a living. It's what I do all day everyday. I don't have 60,000 dollars in school loans at 2 technical colleges for no reason.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Yeah just because you did it that makes it fact? Do you not have any real technical knowledge as a mechanic? I'm all for shade tree and backyard mechanics. But when you don't have any actual technical knowledge to share, only what you or your buddy did or what you can Google real quick, then don't argue that you're right when literally everyone is contradicting you. I love giving someone advice to help them, but only when it comes to what I know. If I have an opinion I make sure the people I'm giving advice to know it's just an opinion. Being a mechanic is what I do for a living. It's what I do all day everyday. I don't have 60,000 dollars in school loans at 2 technical colleges for no reason.
actually yes, it does. Again, if you were closer id take you for a ride. Coil over shocks, at least the monroe load adjusting shocks I have, do NOT change the ride in anyway. I think you need to ask for a refund on your college degrees if you think youre that high and mighty to tell me how my truck does or doesn't behave on bumps..
oh, and the technical knowledge is from allpar, a sight all about mopars. Where the info is taken out of factory brochures and literature. So, yes, youre still wrong.

Last edited by Toby Warford; 04-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

actually yes, it does. Again, if you were closer id take you for a ride. Coil over shocks, at least the monroe load adjusting shocks I have, do NOT change the ride in anyway. I think you need to ask for a refund on your college degrees if you think youre that high and mighty to tell me how my truck does or doesn't behave on bumps..
oh, and the technical knowledge is from allpar, a sight all about mopars. Where the info is taken out of factory brochures and literature. So, yes, youre still wrong.
That would depend on the pre-load applied by the springs on your shocks. If there is no preload, or, very little, then no, it wouldn't have much affect on ride, until you got to a bumpy surface. (more suspension travel required.)

Still and all, if you put a heavy load in your truck bed, the coil-over shocks WILL be supporting some of that load, which applies that force to the shock mounts, which ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THAT. I really don't care how they go about it, be it airbags in the shocks, or springs wrapped around them, it is a BAD IDEA.

Just for fun, try taking out one of your lower shock bolts, then take your truck for a drive at 55mph. That's what you get when the mount breaks, which ALWAYS comes as a surprise, and generally results in a fair bit of carnage.

I will NEVER recommend coil-over shocks, or 'air shocks' on a vehicle that wasn't specifically designed to have them. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

I have a better idea, how about everyone here who disagrees calls up Monroe and tell them how stupid they are? Tell them that their engineers wasted their time and everyone here knows more then a company that has more money then everyone here put together? And that their R&D department is putting peoples lives at risk with their product? Tell them how you know much more then they could ever hope to understand.

if it were a Chinese knock off company, ok. But I'm pretty sure Monroe has it covered.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have a better idea, how about everyone here who disagrees calls up Monroe and tell them how stupid they are? Tell them that their engineers wasted their time and everyone here knows more then a company that has more money then everyone here put together? And that their R&D department is putting peoples lives at risk with their product? Tell them how you know much more then they could ever hope to understand.

if it were a Chinese knock off company, ok. But I'm pretty sure Monroe has it covered.
So, you think every company out there makes products that actually do what they say, perfectly safely? You know, like throttle body spacers? Or 'performance chips' that are just a resistor, that add 50 hp, and 10 mpg?

Monroe makes those because they know people will buy them, not knowing what they are actually doing to their vehicles. Its called 'snake oil', and monroe isn't the first company to do it, nor are they going to be the last. There are a HOST of companies out there that do the exact same thing, in one form or another. Aside from that, monroe has NO liability for what folks do with their products.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So, you think every company out there makes products that actually do what they say, perfectly safely? You know, like throttle body spacers? Or 'performance chips' that are just a resistor, that add 50 hp, and 10 mpg?

Monroe makes those because they know people will buy them, not knowing what they are actually doing to their vehicles. Its called 'snake oil', and monroe isn't the first company to do it, nor are they going to be the last. There are a HOST of companies out there that do the exact same thing, in one form or another. Aside from that, monroe has NO liability for what folks do with their products.
lmao! You're just reaching now. It's pathetic. So, to help minimize the impact on someone else's life, please tell me hpw long my death trap shocks have left before I kill someone? I drive about 40k miles a year on all sorts of different roads and surfaces. Usually unloaded. Just so I can start a count down timer.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

lmao! You're just reaching now. It's pathetic. So, to help minimize the impact on someone else's life, please tell me hpw long my death trap shocks have left before I kill someone? I drive about 40k miles a year on all sorts of different roads and surfaces. Usually unloaded. Just so I can start a count down timer.
I just love your "I know better than you" attitude. Been doing engineering most of your life? Been a mechanic for living as well? Let me guess, you also have several PHDs.

If you want to be stupid, knock yourself out. You live far enough away, that it won't affect me.

How long will it last? Good question. How often do you load up your truck, and haul heavy loads/pull trailers, that put more of a load on your shock mounts? For all I know, they might break the next time you drive it, or, they may never break at all.

My point is, the shock mounts AREN'T DESIGNED to support weight. Which is exactly what you are doing to them. In what world is that a 'good idea™'? Can you get away with it? Sure, for a while. How long? Depends on how much you abuse the mounts.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Shocks??