1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota - Where to find drum size

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 02:58 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 95 Dakota - Where to find drum size

Hello,

Is there a way to find the rear brake drum size without looking at the drum? I heard someone say there was a sticker in the glovebox on certain models, but nothing on mine.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Uhh ... not really.

But.

Most drums will have a MAX DIA or Max Diameter note on it.

Obviously, if it's under 10" (under 254mm) then it's a 9 inch drum. Slightly over 10" (or slightly over 254mm) is a 10" drum. (I THINK it's nominally 10.030" or the metric equivalent to that - but that's a darn easy way to tell.)

If your drums don't have that, then pulling one and measuring across the inside is the only way to tell for sure. MIGHT be able to measure around the backing plate ( the circumference ) and see if it's about 31.5" or closer to 28.25" or so (not sure of the exact; that's 10" or 9" circle circumferences). For measuring stuff like that, I tend to use some twine or a cloth tape measure; if I use twine, I mark where it crosses then measure between the marks.

If you decide you want 10", and you don't have but 9" now, you can locate backing plates; pull the axles (note: I'd redo the bearings and seals while they were out!), pull the old backing plates, put on the "new" backing plates, and put all new 10" parts on it.

RwP

Old 07-03-2020, 02:51 AM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Uhh ... not really.

But.

Most drums will have a MAX DIA or Max Diameter note on it.

Obviously, if it's under 10" (under 254mm) then it's a 9 inch drum. Slightly over 10" (or slightly over 254mm) is a 10" drum. (I THINK it's nominally 10.030" or the metric equivalent to that - but that's a darn easy way to tell.)

If your drums don't have that, then pulling one and measuring across the inside is the only way to tell for sure. MIGHT be able to measure around the backing plate ( the circumference ) and see if it's about 31.5" or closer to 28.25" or so (not sure of the exact; that's 10" or 9" circle circumferences). For measuring stuff like that, I tend to use some twine or a cloth tape measure; if I use twine, I mark where it crosses then measure between the marks.

If you decide you want 10", and you don't have but 9" now, you can locate backing plates; pull the axles (note: I'd redo the bearings and seals while they were out!), pull the old backing plates, put on the "new" backing plates, and put all new 10" parts on it.

RwP
Okay then I guess I need to stop being lazy and take a wheel or two off then LOL! Thanks for the help.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:11 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfStar
Okay then I guess I need to stop being lazy and take a wheel or two off then LOL! Thanks for the help.
The 9" drums look slightly different from the 10" drums, you should be able to recognize which you have by looking through the wheel. If you have steel wheels that block the view you'll have to take one off.
The 9" typically have fins that are flat, the 10" drums have fins that have a step outward where the drum increases in size, the 9" doesn't have this.

Steve

Old 08-06-2020, 03:22 AM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
The 9" drums look slightly different from the 10" drums, you should be able to recognize which you have by looking through the wheel. If you have steel wheels that block the view you'll have to take one off.
The 9" typically have fins that are flat, the 10" drums have fins that have a step outward where the drum increases in size, the 9" doesn't have this.

Steve
I found out I have 9" drums. Attached is a photo. It says Max Dia 230.0 on the face of the drum which is in millimetres. 230.0mm = 9.055 in. What was nice was I didn't even have to take the wheel off.

What's weird is the metric units, but I've found metric parts all over the truck. Super weird for a US vehicle.

Max Dia = 230.0

Old 08-06-2020, 07:27 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yep, those are 9" drums.

10" are something like 270mm.

It's not THAT weird; we were into metrification by then, and it's actually just a number to help make the metrification folks happier.

RwP

Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Yeah, the whole mixture of standard and metric fasteners used throughout the vehicles of that era is really annoying.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
glenlloyd (08-06-2020), WolfStar (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:30 AM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Yep, those are 9" drums.

10" are something like 270mm.

It's not THAT weird; we were into metrification by then, and it's actually just a number to help make the metrification folks happier.

RwP
Yeah I guess that was an era for that. Kinda died didn't it? Wish they would just pick one. Metric = evil IMHO.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota - Where to find drum size