1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st gen rear end swap info to give

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 03:57 PM
cwkerr007
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so lets clean this up the trac *** on the dash was to look for so you won't have to search vins all day at the salv yard if it has the emblem on the dash it is POTENTUALLY a TRAC-LOC POSI TRAC LIMITED SLIP or whatever your english teacher from ford wants you to call it just look for the emblem smoke you a big one crawl under the SUV and read the tag chances are (that's % FOR THE TEACHERS ) meening there is a good chance it has a diff that spins both wheels when you apply a lot of torq to the yoke on the diff there for that is *** much info as i can politically correctly give without disturbing the ford teachers and smoke at the same time.While i have done my best to misinform you i shall leave the rest to the teachers while i go drive around in my DAKOTA with the ford rear end the gm alt and ignition the nissan cold air induction the rv bucket seats wrapped covered paint and the classic truck ins (250 a yr) while the whole time wishing i could be a vulcan lmao

Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I don't know why you are so het under the collar about it - but to recap.

1) Traction Assist was used with ABS INSTEAD of a TrakLok. OTOH, you could get a TrakLok with it; it wasn't exclusive, but I'd not expect TA to have a TL in the diff. (Not a common offering; Marti says something like 5% of the TA vehicles through 2000 had TLs also. Since he's the one doing Marti Reports, I tend to trust him on his numbers.)

2) OTOH, the diff tag WILL state if it was factory equipped with a TrakLok - by using a L in place of the period for the ratio (and an open used a space.)

3) In addition, the door tag WILL specify the ratio AND if it's open or closed, albeit in a code - which *ahem* is easily found on line (for those interested and looking, check (2) Gears and Axles | TCCoA Forums ... it's the list I use when I'm scoping out a possible 3.27 or stiffer for my Cougar.)

Now, why does it **** you off so much that someone MIGHT have more accurate information, and strives to keep accuracy on line?

*shrug* You're the one posting so much screaming about it, and also trying to look like you're not very smart. (Hint: Punctuation HELPS to order thoughts and statements; run-ons and lack of spacing indicates you don't care if anyone understands you or not.)

RwP

Old 07-21-2021, 03:15 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I put a 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer in mine back in 2017? Had to add spacers to match track width. Also, I had to weld new spring mounts and shock mounts on mine.....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-and-more.html

Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM
cwkerr007
Rookie

i don't know what yr you used for your swap but i still have my dak and no spacers no welded pads i hope you still know the model you got it from so we can ad that to the info here

Old 09-23-2021, 10:18 AM
cwkerr007
Rookie

ya'll listen to ralphy there and he'll have you lookin through books till your cross eyed but if you want to look for stuff first hand you go to the place that the rear ends are and your going to see what is left of an explorer so my point was to save ya'll time and sweat by takink a glance at the things i ment cause you may not be able to get to the fact tags or they may not be readable so a quick way to know if you have a candidate is to look for the lines on the dash and the discs on the back then its close to the right year and it's worth your time to look at the tag and that will be a quick way to spot one ! or you can be like ralphy and research specs from the book and bring your research team to the salvage yard with you and make a career as an english teacher that moonlights as a salvage search professor and spend your time prepairing to look for a re or you can actually do it that's up to your personal choices all i wanted was for you to have an option

Last edited by cwkerr007; 09-23-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:50 AM
cwkerr007
Rookie

and ralphy you started with the smokin com and then try to play innoc askin wat i'm hot under the collar about you r just tryin to helpso back to the point the other man said that he had issues with the 2000 model goin in his so with that info let me be more specific my 1988 dakota and a 1997 explorer were a very close match def worth the issues just for the brakes that means we can stop at that inters that ralphy the english teacher 's truck slides through cause his brakes suck and you ain't supposed to drive while you read your books!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2021, 11:00 AM
cwkerr007
Rookie

and only you would want to put mustang or explorer wheels on a dakota and i posted pics those are aft mark wheels that was my point MORE wheel opt s instead of 6 lug i never said put mustang or expl wheels on your dakota but if you do please post pics

Old 09-23-2021, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,250 Likes on 2,998 Posts

I would be much more likely to pay attention to what Ralph has to say, than some johnny-come-lately, that doesn't seem to know what grammar, and punctuation are for......

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 06:20 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

He also seems to lack in reading comprehension.

I think that the fact that I corrected him (for getting it mostly bass-ackwards on traction control and TrakLok diffs) is what pissed him off in the first place.

But eh.

He has to live with himself; I don't.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
tndakman (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 06:27 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

As stated, it was a 2000...... But it was 2wd. My truck is 4wd.
​​​​​​Being 4wd, I wanted to keep the width the same as orig.
It appears that you are using wheels with a much deeper offset vs the fronts.....

Quick Reply: 1st gen rear end swap info to give