1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blower control switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower control switch

Does anyone know where to get one, except the stealership? I called the local dealer and he wanted $242 for it and I absolutely refuse to pay that kinda money for a simple switch. I tried autostoned and they had it listed as SW334 which is a vacuum switch for controlling the vents. I went to Morgan's auto, which is more money, but they always have the right part... they didn't have it nor could find it listed anywhere... I need the metal switch that controls the speed of the blower motor.

Today, I torn the lower hlaf of the dash out and started testing wires. I checked the leads going into the motor, both wires were ignition switched positives... So I unplug the motor and check the plug, I have one positive, but no ground now. Resistor is brand new, so I take the blower control switch out and look at it. It is browned, charred, plastic is heavily melted around the connectors.

Could the motor also be bad? is that why it feed power back into the negative lead?

Also, if someone has one that is known good, I would be very happy to send ya some cash for it.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Blower control switch

I would check a junk yard out for that part. aslong as it's in good shape. that seems pretty expensive from a dealer.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
BOOMER_87
Professional

shorty let me know what year and i can check at my local junk yard the yard here has a ton of dakotas soooo I think I could find ya one and let you know

Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

The three yards I have been to two of them had no daks and one had two that were the wrong year.

Mine is a:
1990 V6 auto With A/C 4X2

The stealer said something about it has to be replaced as a unit...

Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
codydakota
Captain

Check the resistor mounted on the fire wall, pull it out and check for a broken connection. It's easy to fix and it's happened to both my Dak's. I thought the same thing you do about yours, but then i checked the resistance at the wire harness (also on fire wall, connectors to resistor) and had none where i needed it so i cleaned the connections and fixed the resistor, works like a charm, much cheaper too!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

I replaced it first with a brand new one from O'reilly's. I get positive at the motor, but no negative at the motor... So I traced it back and not getting anything coming out of the control switch in the center console. So I pulled the switch and the body is heat marked and the rear black plastic piece is melted... and I have negative before the switch... so to me that would me I need to replace the switch.

Later Daze,
Shorty

Old 01-27-2007, 05:24 PM
codydakota
Captain

wow, this is a first for me, I may be ignorant but i've never heard of that happening. Wish i had an answer for you, at least one that was an easier fix.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 PM
gb6491
Rookie

I'm not sure if this what you are looking for, but rockauto.com lists a HVAC blower control switch (as pictured).
Regards,
Greg

Old 01-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Mr_Shorty
Rookie

Close, but not it... It has a long metal swing arm on it that doesn't seem to come off... I could be wrong, but I also think it had only two large pronges and 4 or five little pronges. I will see if I can find my old removed one... seeing how my kids cleaned out my truck while I was asleep(gotta love'em).

Later Daze,
Shorty

Quick Reply: Blower control switch