1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New First Gen Owner. Need Help With Sourcing Part

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New First Gen Owner. Need Help With Sourcing Part

Hello folks, I recently purchased a 95 Dakota with the 3.9. Unbeknownst to me, I purchased it without any know how of the Plenum gasket issue. The truck runs fine but upon removing the air filter housing i noticed alot of oil buildup on the bottom of the plenum. Oil level was also very low.

My question is this. I have looked everywhere online and cannot find a website that sells the aluminum plenum pan. Anyone have any leads? Thank You!

BlueLiner

Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLiner
Hello folks, I recently purchased a 95 Dakota with the 3.9. Unbeknownst to me, I purchased it without any know how of the Plenum gasket issue. The truck runs fine but upon removing the air filter housing i noticed alot of oil buildup on the bottom of the plenum. Oil level was also very low.

My question is this. I have looked everywhere online and cannot find a website that sells the aluminum plenum pan. Anyone have any leads? Thank You!

BlueLiner
I dunno, I'd check Hughes Engines and Hi-Potek (both found by googling "Magnum V6 plenum repair kit" BTW.)

RwP

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 AM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
I dunno, I'd check Hughes Engines and Hi-Potek (both found by googling "Magnum V6 plenum repair kit" BTW.)

RwP
Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. I checked Hughes yesterday and i do not believe they still sell the kit for the 3.9. Hipotek seems to have the kit. Anyone have any feedback on that site?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:48 AM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Actually i spoke too soon. I was able to find it on the hughes site for $120. I guess i was searching it wrong. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Actually i spoke too soon. I was able to find it on the hughes site for $120. I guess i was searching it wrong. Thanks!
I had a link to both sources in my message.

RwP

Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

You don't really need the aluminum plate. Simply changing the gasket, with one of GOOD QUALITY, (fel pro), and using some slightly shorter bolts.... and it will be fine.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Is it not the issue of two different metals being placed next to each other that causes the failure in the first place?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Is it not the issue of two different metals being placed next to each other that causes the failure in the first place?

This is just my opinion, but I feel sure that the thicker alum. plate would seal for a longer period, but
How long did the factory pan last? And how many miles and years will you put on the truck?
Engines have used alum valve covers on steel heads, alum intakes on steel heads, and alum. heads on steel blocks....
If it was mine, and its not my everyday vehicle for the next few years, I would just replace the gasket and let it go.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

No. I did the math, and the difference in expansion is measured in thousandths of an inch. The problem was a cheap gasket, and bolts that were a bit too long.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:12 PM
BlueLiner
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No. I did the math, and the difference in expansion is measured in thousandths of an inch. The problem was a cheap gasket, and bolts that were a bit too long.

Well i bit the bullet and ended up ordering the Hughes kit. The truck has 155k miles but runs excellent shifts even better and has absolutely no rust. So i might keep it for a while.