1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

There has been some questions regarding this issues. I will try to answer these issues. I encorage everyone that joins this thread to include;

Year, Model, Engine, Trans, T-case, Selections of 4X4, Electronic or Manual Shift

Now the diff's are OEM limited slip unless otherwise upgraded to include lockers.

Axel bind can occuer if turning any bit while in 4X4. Now there are 2 styles.

1. Regular NV-231-HD
2. Part Time NV-242-HD

These T-Cases were installed in the 1998, 1999 models. Fluid type is Dextron III Automatic Transmission Fluid or Chrysler ATF+3 Type 7176 Automatic Transmission fluid ONLY!
I recommend only using ATF+3 Type 7176 fluid.

Axel Bind occurs in the NV-242-HD case really bad. The reason for this is because the drivelines are locked with no clutch pads to allow some slippage like the others. This occurs when turning because the front wheels turn more revolutions than the rear wheels. With the drivelines turning different revolutions all the bind goes into the transfer case and cannot be removed by the transfer case and finally all the pressure erupts and cracks the case or blows chains or other parts associated in or through the T-case.

The front OEM diff's are limited slip unless they have been upgraded to an after market locker or gear upgrade. Even though the gearing is limited slip there is no clutch packs so no slippage for axel bind to be removed. Power or pressure will move from side to side but the bind remains. Now if you are on loose or slippery surfaces the wheels will allow the bind not to accumulate because the front can now slip to the rear ratio or vice-versa.

In many cases a driver will step on the gas in snow or mud and both wheels will spin front or back so the person thinks that they have posi-traction. This is not the case guy's. Both wheels are slipping. Power doesn’t go from one side to the other. Now you put some strain on the diff's and then the power can transfer. It needs strain first.

4 wheel drive is only 1 front and 1 rear tire with torque. The only way around this is to install a locker or posi to make both wheels turn with torque all or part of the time depending on what the owner installed. There are issues regarding both installations.

NV-231-HD case has clutch pads to help release axel bind. Although it is not recommended to run in 4X4 because of axel bind and will ware thepads out or cause chain stress and ultimately cause failure.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case

2000, SLT, 4.7L, NV-231, 4lo-N-2-4hi, manual shift

The front OEM diff's are limited slip unless they have been upgraded to an after market locker or gear upgrade
4 wheel drive is only 1 front and 1 rear tire with torque. The only way around this is to install a locker or posi to make both wheels turn with torque all or part of the time depending on what the owner installed.
I know i have factory rear LSD... however what is the front diff? I am now understanding axle bind, so that has put to rest a lot of confusion.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydra:

Being an 01 owner, I will add my 02 regarding the 01, 02, 03 Durangos.

They were offered with either the NV133 2speed part time case, NV233 3 speed part time case, or the NV244 3 speed AWD case.

All these units came with factory fill ATF+4 I believe.

The rear differentials were all standard open carriers save the R/T package, and you could add the LS option called Anti Spin by Dodge as a stand alone option. Contrary to other manufacturers, the Anti-Spin was not a part of the factory Tow Package.

As for the front differentials, they are all OPEN. Not to say that one could not install an aftermarket locker, but installing any type of LS carrier that cannot be opened up for normal operation would make for a very unsafe vehicleand big time liability for the maker.

This is because having a limited slip type front diff on a road driven vehicle would make it want to "plow" or understeer when trying to make turns. This is the same thing that occurs when one tries to turn on a slippery street while braking too hard, and the front wheels lock causing the vehicle to slide in a direction that is not desireable.

The 04 and newer 4x4 Durangos are all AWD, and have either the NV1442 speed, or NV244 3 speed AWD cases.

Don

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Deerang<------The diff is short for the differential. This is the pumpkin on the front axel. The front driveline goes into this and splits. It splits into a gearing ratio just like the back. It resides in the middle of the axel. From these gears there are 2 (one CV joint for each side) CV joints that install into these gears that transfer turning torque into the wheels therefore turning the tires. The power comes upline from the driveline out of the transfer case. The transfer case is attached to the rear end of the trans and this is how the power is transfered. The power of the trans is split in half. One end of power is sent to the front and the other power split is sent to the rear end thus giving power to both differentials.

n8ech

I think you are refering to the (NV133 2speed part time case, NV233 3 speed part time case) as regular Transfer Cases that can be sifted in and out of 4X4 manually or electronicly and are not ALL WHEEL DRIVE or AKA; AWD

I am talking about a true (Part Time Transfer Case). The NV-242-HD T-Case is a true Part Time Transfer Case unlike a regular case. It is called a Part Time Case because there is a 4 wheel drive Part Time selection.

There are 5 Selections

2H, 4 PT, 4 FT, N, 4L

These were only installed in the 1998-1999 models. The 4X4 was hard for the general puplic to figure out and so with the overall problems it was discontiued.

It was an option only. I think you are confused.
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
tbasse01
Rookie

ok hydra now I am confused well kinda

what model is my transfer case? cause it is not as common as I think

it only has 2wd and 4lock on the **** on the dash

it is on a 2002 4.7 L SXT model durango? oh if it matters it is hooked up to the 5 speed tranny which was the first time it was offered in 2002

Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM
deerang
All Star

sorry bout that Hydra... I didnt mean what is a front diff, but thanks for thehighly detailed explanation. I meantto ask isit open or LSD or locked.... You prolly thought I was a newb askin that question

Definately should have been more clear in my question...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

holy **** now i am confused
i always thought that the diffs(front and back) locked up when you turned the switch to 4hi/4lo locked, which wou ld make sense to me as that would allow for the most traction in low traction situations, which is what the 4wd was made for

btw i drive an 02 SLT+ w/ 4.7l 5sp tranny, and the 3 option electronic transfer case(im not sure which one i got)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydra:

I am not sure what you thinkI am confused about. If you reread my post, I clearly identify the NV133 and NV233 as part time cases. What do you mean by a "true part time case?" A case is either part time, or full time nowadays. I am aware of the case you speak of that had part time as well as full time plus AWD. This is a unique animal that was not around long for whatever reason, and from whatI have read was not real reliable as quite a few folks ended up swapping them out for part time cases.

Sharpshooter:

There is no change in either your front or diffs regardless of what mode your T case is in. By selecting 4 lock, the 4wd mode is engaged and power is now sent to the front as well as the rear driveshaft as Hydra stated. The "locking" denotes that the front and rear driveshafts are locked together, which is why the part time systems can not be used on hard surfaces without excess tire /driveline binding.

4 low lock is the same thing except a lower ratio is thrown in to multiply engine torque and give you a better control over the throttle/rpm range of the motor.

Speaking of power being "sent" from one side of an axle to the other. The newer hi tech systems accomplish this via the traction control systems by applying the brakeof the slippingwheel, which then forces the torque to be applied to the other axle on that end.

If you look inside thefrontdiff of any durango, you find them to have open carriers. The assembly on the front of my 01 states "3.55 open carrier."

I am not trying to start any great debate, but when I see info I know to be inaccurate I as we all would do want to make sure we are not misleading anyone.

Don

Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ill believe you, but i could have sworn that i saw what looked like vacum lines going into the front diff, and i thought it was for a air/vacum controlled locker, as i have seen them for sale on the net, since that is not what htey are for, what are they for/where do they go?? its too cold for me to go out and look so im asking

Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
desertracer

you were probably looking at a breaher hose...just lets the diff breath.

ALL Durango front differentials are OPEN...not limited slip or locked or posi or anything...OPEN. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to run a limited slip or locker in the front differential without manual locking hubs (the ones you have to get out and lock manually on each front wheel). One exception is an aftermarket selectable locker..the kind that can be disengaged for street use...like an ARB air locker or a cable locker. Or there is a lunchbox locker but I won't get into those.

Moral of the story....if you have a Durango, the front differential is OPEN. Unless somebody messed with it.

Quick Reply: Differentals and Axel Bind Regarding Transfer Case