1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 AM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan clutch

well the fan clutch is finally crapping the bed at 280,000km, or about 170,000mi for my friends south of the border.. I heard a rattling noise when I got home, and popped the hood to inspect to find that the fan doesn't seem to be spinning very uniformly.. shut off the engine and gave the fan blades a little wiggle, and there is lots of play in the clutch.

I see there is a nice thread about getting the clutch off, which I'm sure I'll find very useful, but I want to know where you guys bought your clutch from. Did you find one aftermarket, or get an OEM replacement from the stealership? I know I don't want to get a heavy duty clutch, but just a straight stock replacement, but I'd like some heads up, or info on where to buy one.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my heavy duty clutch from napa. I got heavy duty because we tow with our D but we dont like it because it is very noticeable drag on the engine especially when cold.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andyg
I got my heavy duty clutch from napa. I got heavy duty because we tow with our D but we dont like it because it is very noticeable drag on the engine especially when cold.
Same here. I bought a severe duty clutch. Cold startups and sometimes warm startups, the clutch stays locked for a while and eventually will release. As long as driving a mile or two before the clutch releases. After about 12k miles, the clutch seems to have finally broken in. Now I usually don't even drive 1/2 before the clutch lock releases. I even found out if I turn on the A/C where the electric fan engages, it speeds up the clutch unlock process even faster. Usually within 1/4 mile before clutch disengages. Once the clutch disengages, then I turn off the a/c.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
deerang
All Star

I took a look at the D today, and it appears that the pulley that the fan clutch bolts too is the culprit.. The clutch seems fine, and isn't sticking.. How would I tighten up this pulley to stop it from wiggling? Is there a bearing in there that may be screwed up? I'll take a picture and post it soon..

Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by deerang
Is there a bearing in there that may be screwed up? I'll take a picture and post it soon..
yeah the water pump can be damaged if your not careful. I used some large vise grips to clamp on the pulley to hold it tight while I replaced my fan clutch

Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
deerang
All Star

Originally Posted by DRO318
yeah the water pump can be damaged if your not careful.
So the fan clutch bolts to the water-pump?

edit. ok I checked out the service manual and discovered the clutch does bolt to the water-pump.. however the big pulley wheel that bolts to the water pump, are there any bearings in there? or is the wobble coming directly form the shaft on the water pump? would a loose clutch bolt cause the water pump pulley to wobble?

Last edited by deerang; 11-04-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
DRO318
Captain
Cool

So the fan clutch bolts to the water-pump?

edit. ok I checked out the service manual and discovered the clutch does bolt to the water-pump.. however the big pulley wheel that bolts to the water pump, are there any bearings in there? or is the wobble coming directly form the shaft on the water pump? would a loose clutch bolt cause the water pump pulley to wobble?
yeah there are bearings. either one fan clch or water pump could wobble if bad. A indication that the water pump is exausted is the wobble accompanied by a moderate leak
You would be able to recognize the wobble coming from the water pump shaft. everything would wobble when you moved the fan clutch

Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 PM
deerang
All Star

Originally Posted by DRO318
yeah there are bearings. either one fan clch or water pump could wobble if bad. A indication that the water pump is exausted is the wobble accompanied by a moderate leak
You would be able to recognize the wobble coming from the water pump shaft. everything would wobble when you moved the fan clutch
no leaks *thumbs up*.. Is the pulley it's own part, with it's own bearings? I'm trying to figure out what part it is that I need to buy

Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
DRO318
Captain

I took a look at the D today, and it appears that the pulley that the fan clutch bolts too is the culprit.. The clutch seems fine, and isn't sticking.. How would I tighten up this pulley to stop it from wiggling? Is there a bearing in there that may be screwed up? I'll take a picture and post it soon..
You say the pulley is wiggling. Are you positive it is the pulley or just the bolt that connects the two of them

Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
DRO318
Captain

the pulley is connected to the water pump

Quick Reply: fan clutch