1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

air cleaner?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
v8streetracin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air cleaner?????

hey guys i havent really found anything on this. i want to put a round air cleaner on. i wanted to get some more room under the hood for a compressor i plan on putting in for an air system w/train horns. duel purpose air up tires and a nice F * button and since theres no room at all. i was thinking about taking out the stock type intake and replace it with a round style one. like the k&n Xtreme filter. i made a custom true cold air intake. the hvac 90 tucked between light and radiator. but since i wheel her from time to time im always worried about hydrolocking my brandy new engine. even tho i drilled holes in the bottom of the air box, still kinda freaks me out. my question is has anyone swaped to a round air filter? if so please post with pro's and con's. and the size filter you used. looks like a 8" would fit perfect 12" max width w/some playing with the top rad. hose. by like 4" tall max. guesstamit. trying to kill two birds with one stone. more room on pass. side engine compartment and no worries with water. thanks

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by v8streetracin
hey guys i havent really found anything on this. i want to put a round air cleaner on. i wanted to get some more room under the hood for a compressor i plan on putting in for an air system w/train horns. duel purpose air up tires and a nice F * button and since theres no room at all. i was thinking about taking out the stock type intake and replace it with a round style one. like the k&n Xtreme filter. i made a custom true cold air intake. the hvac 90 tucked between light and radiator. but since i wheel her from time to time im always worried about hydrolocking my brandy new engine. even tho i drilled holes in the bottom of the air box, still kinda freaks me out. my question is has anyone swaped to a round air filter? if so please post with pro's and con's. and the size filter you used. looks like a 8" would fit perfect 12" max width w/some playing with the top rad. hose. by like 4" tall max. guesstamit. trying to kill two birds with one stone. more room on pass. side engine compartment and no worries with water. thanks
Here's mine:
Name:  2007-10-09027.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  207.2 KB

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You forgot the size tho? Width and height?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:27 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You forgot the size tho? Width and height?
I don't really remember. 12x3 maybe? Pretty sure it's 3 inch tall. Any taller and you have to modify how you are going to keep the lid closed on the filter as the stock stud will be too short.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:36 AM
v8streetracin
Rookie

thanks so you can fit a 12" cleaner no problem? any diff. from stock setup to the round in performance?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

thanks so you can fit a 12" cleaner no problem? any diff. from stock setup to the round in performance?
I haven't dynoed it or run it down the track so I can't tell you and anyone that says they can tell the difference in performance from a different intake by the seat of their pants is crazy.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I does look like 12X3 tho.

Can ya measure it?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yepp, anything better than stock. There is still a debate on its location draw, stock-fender well pulls a colder charge, just a hat topper pulls engine heat. etc etc etc. But i still say its better than stock.. In the end a colder charge (cai) intake would be the best but its not like we are running fine tuned engine where as 6 degree's assists 29hp. I removed all my ac components/battery etc etc to run dual spectre's (just looks) cant run a K&N right due to a body lift

Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Duranged408
Yepp, anything better than stock. There is still a debate on its location draw, stock-fender well pulls a colder charge, just a hat topper pulls engine heat. etc etc etc. But i still say its better than stock.. In the end a colder charge (cai) intake would be the best but its not like we are running fine tuned engine where as 6 degree's assists 29hp. I removed all my ac components/battery etc etc to run dual spectre's (just looks) cant run a K&N right due to a body lift
I think this would be the best setup:

http://www.ramairbox.com/models.html

Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Most of those setups look like they are ready for functional hood scoop induction or Supercharger.

Quick Reply: air cleaner?????