1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vibration felt through truck at 60mph and up

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration felt through truck at 60mph and up

Okay,this is my first posted problem and I hope the gear heads here have some insight.I have a 99 durango with high miles=over 180,000.I notice a vibration through the vehicle starting at 60mph and very noticeable past 70mph-If I let off the gas it dies down slightly and is felt again at the same annoying level once I step on the gas again.I don't feel this vibration at 50 or below.The tires are a bit worn but have a pretty even tread wear depth.I haven,t been under the vehicle to check for u-jopints due to snow and cold.I also have ahd the cold weather slow shift=2200 to 2800 in both o/d on and off ,till the tranny warms up=outdoor temp from 9 to 41 degress.The vibration is the same no matter the warm up or not.Does that sound like a driveshaft prob or possible tranny or engine mount prob?I like some input from ya guys ifpossible.I'm leaning to possible a drive shaft problem since it decreases after letting off the gas.Any input would greatly appreciated-ty in advance-Jon aka dragon-p.s. This vehicle passed inspection for all suspension checks-i.e. ball joints etc.-Ty AGAIN AND I LOVE THIS FORUM=FACT

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
BigRedMachine00
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time you had an alignment?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

First i would rotate the tires and ck balance, then ck for mud on the inside of the rims. and ck the pinion nut on the rear diff.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Facory
Professional

Most likely uneven wear and out of balance. Once the bad wear pattern gets established there's not much to do to correct it. Get them inspected, rotated and balanced as stated above. Be sure you have the proper pressure. Bad drive shaft - not likely.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated balnce those tires first. If that doesn't help then start looking at the driveshaft. If you pull it yourself it should be too costly to take it to a driveshaft shop and have them see if it's balanced.

Oh and it could be the u-joints too if they are out of alignment/trashed.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

I'm goina try the tire swap first.The thing that threw me was the vibration increase when on the gas=it becomes hardly noticeable when coasting.That kinda aimed me at the driveshaft or u-joints.As for an alignment I just got the vehicle last friday-I did noticed the wheel was slightly off but no pulling to either side and the tires have balance weights on them.I thank all the techs and gearheads for their input and it's supposed to be alil warmer tomorrow so I will mess with it and post anything I find.Again ty and I have recommended this forum to a couple of peeps with D's.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

U-joint or a yoke bearing (or output)

You can try the wheel balancing.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
scouty

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
U-joint or a yoke bearing (or output)

You can try the wheel balancing.
I agree, My f150 had this prob. ti was my u-joints. the tires will most likely be ok. there are many signs of this problem from clunking, vibration at a certain speed, a squeeling sound,etc.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Thanks again for the input,I waiting for this damn weather to clear up so I can get down and dirty under the d.Then hopefully I can post a result.I did swap the tires=front to back and tested air pressure=no change in vibration.I gotta check the tranny and any mounts associated the transfer too along with the u-joint{no clunking or banging yet from drive train going from reverse to drive with brakes on], but I'm goina check the pinion and yokes also=damn rain and cold go away already!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Okay,so the problem is with 3 outta the 4 tires missng balance weights=I took the full size spare off the truck swapped it to one of the front wheels=vibration died down,so i swapped tires till the vibration was almost gone.Now I just gotta get some new 31's {old ones almost to indicators}and get the wheels all balanced.Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: Vibration felt through truck at 60mph and up