1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

mesh vs. billet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Twiitchh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mesh vs. billet?

I'm tired of the boring look of the stock grille so i'm looking around at getting some inserts, but i'm not sure if i want mesh or the horizontal billet.

I've only found one set of mesh inserts that I really like, they're from Grillecraft.

[but I'd get them in black, of course]

Or the other choice, some horizontals

[again, in black].

What do you guys think looks better on a truck that's in the process of bein blacked out. Also, i was wondering if these inserts block the hood release latch? It looks like the mesh one does so for those with mesh grilles, how do you pop your hood now?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

they usually come with a relocation set up for the hood release weather it is a wire at the bottom, or out the side, or a notch in the top left insert, there is usually some allowance made so that its included in the kit

but if its not making one is not too hard, just need an old wire coat hanger, or a piece of (something similar to) throttle cable for a leafblower cut in a small length, if you need i can draw up some plans for you on making the release mechanism just let me know

btw: i like the mesh best, but then my truck already has something similar to the billet set up in there already (just black plastic but too boring IMO)

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Billet in my opinion.... I have some just need to get them cleaned up before I install them.. LOL far as that goes i just have a lot of work to do before i can even get near that install.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=schusterjo;1681348]Billet in my opinion.... QUOTE]

IMHO, if blacking out, getting the billet would be like buying air to breath.
Stock grill looks identical
Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  106.2 KB

I say homodepot mesh special....

Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, but to me the mesh just looks ugly, again my opinion...

And no mine are not blacked out, they look just like the original poster showed a pic of but on a silver D and and not a chrome gill.. Personally I do not like the chrome grill look, but having the billet inerts in the painted grill looks nice to me.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, i get it now.
Name:  no-mold-gold-teeth.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  52.0 KB

JK!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  101_0342.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  119.1 KB

Also available to view in BLACK here:
http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product...937&rid=&img=2

And buy in black here:
http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product_list.asp?mi=5

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Kensai
Champion

I prefer billet myself. Seeing some mesh designs, I am worried about good air flow. Indy's mesh has bigger holes vs the first mesh pic on top of the thread.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

I don't have air flow problems. Agreed that first one looks VERY tight and closed off. Many run the Street Scenes like mine and no reported issues.

Couldn't you mask off the stocker grille and paint it silver to look like billet for next to nothing? I see little gained with the billet look other than color.

IndyD

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Kensai
Champion

If you notice the billet style, they are closer together vs the stock version so you see more lines.

At least with mesh designs, it keeps big debris from pitting up your A/C cooling coil! But mesh grilles aren't recommended if you like to play in the mud or definitely not recommended if you live in areas where it snows alot!!! The snow will clog up the mesh and you will overheat. Happend to me when I drove thru a heavy snow storm in DFW a few years ago (Yes, we actually had a good snow storm in dfw!). I noticed my temp gauge shot up past 210 and still climbing. Fan started to roar. Freaking out that I lost my water pump or something, I pulled over and let it idle for a bit to let it cool down. Temperature outside was 29 degrees. Got out of the truck to see what the deal was and Voila, my Lebra with bug screen was completely covered up from densely packed snow flakes that builted up when I was driving. As the durango sat and idled, the heat from the hot radiator melted the snow off as well as me scrapping what is left that is still clinging on the bug screen. I was able to drive off after the truck cooled down, but it wasn't long before it got clogged from the heavy snow flakes falling. I had to remove the bug screen in order to continue driving.

Last edited by Kensai; 05-27-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: mesh vs. billet?