1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Temp. in overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temp. in overhead console

is wrong by 10+ degrees. I was driving on the highway and thruways and I noticed that the outside temp was like 95 but when I touched the window, it was cool to the touch. I think the temp gauge us located near the pass. side near the rad. I just installed an OEM fan last week, cold I have knocked it out of wack?

Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen a couple of months ago about mid April. It was indicating 106F but once I drive around with some wind over the sensor and got the a/c going it dropped down to a more realistic 80. If it is sitting in a hot spot with the sun beating right down on the sensor, I would suspect that could cause it to indicate higher. Was the window cool to the touch on the inside? (I.E. A/C cooling interior) You got to remember the sensor housing is black, the splash shield is black, both good absorbers of heat. I would suspect that if the sun was beating right down on the sensor then you could indicate higher. If in doubt check the housing, and wiring around the area of the sensor but I think you are o.k. It has been pretty hot everywhere this past week, 95 would not surprise me.

MAGIC

Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Heat can radiate from the raod and vehicals making it hard to tell especially in traffic. Heat cause by the engine can thorw it off in slower traffic as well. Never look at it when you first get in especially when the engine is hot and the truck was parked like you were in the store or something. The heat really radiates around. Look at it driving down the road.

One way to test it is to get some ice water disconnect it and set it in keeping the electrical out of the water but submerge the sensor as far as you can. Let it set for a minute and mix it up real good and it should be 32.F period. Use distilled water for best results. If it's off then get a new one. If you hit the sensor you can knock it off.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned this is usually caused my the engine heat radiating from the engine compartment.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ Yep! ^

This is the only way to see if at least cold is calibrated on your overhead display.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Guys, thanks for the advice. Now I have another one, what does it look like? I think it's a nipple-like thing attached to the frame between the headlight and rad. Am I right? Also, could anyone post a pic to show me? I did drive it last night and I knew it was in the 60s but it showed 80+ I even took the the splash shield off to make sure it wasn't making the high temps. I look at the temp when I'm well under way on the highway and it did not show any deviations except for a 1 degree diff. Could it have been some windshield wiper fluid that poured on the gauge when I changed the efan?

Never mind about the pic. I found out what it looks like from AZ. I'm gonna have them order one just in case. Thanks again!

Last edited by Dans01Durango; 06-29-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Maybe that could have been the problem.

Yes it's on the passenger side between the head light ans the radiator and looks like a sensor sitting out in the open. Should have 2 wires going to it.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold in both buttons on the overhead console while viewing the incorrect temp. This should reset the overhead just as it does when you hold them in while viewing the trip time/mileage to date/etc.

BTW, when you flash the PCM with a SuperChips tuner... the side affect on first start up is a whacked out overhead temp reading. It was like 75 degrees out and my overhead said 136!

IndyDurango

Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

I took off the splash guard and drove the D around yesterday. The temp seemed to go down to regular outside temp. Hope that fixed the problem.

Hydra, but why would it affect the sensor unless it caused a short?

Indy, does that really work? I'm gonna try that too.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ Reset it first like Indy's saying ^

Second, if you banged the sensor it could cause it to read wrong. Now as for liquid, who knows.

Now you have the spash guard down might as well make a homemade CIA!

Quick Reply: Temp. in overhead console