1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Problem with torque on adjusting band screw!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with torque on adjusting band screw!

I have a friend that is working on my 2001 Durango, 5.9, 4WD, AT. He has changed the governor solenoid and is attempting to torque the adjusting screw to 72lb per the manual. He is using a 1/2 torque wrench with a 6 inch extension and the screw is almost all the way in and the torque wrench isn't clicking. He has even tried a digital 1/2 torque wrench and still no click, and there is only enough threads outside to "catch" the locknut. Is there any other torque specs or is there a way to micrometer the the depth of the bolt. I am afraid if he goes anymore he is either going to sink it or snap the head off. Like I said... ge is using 2 different torque wrenches.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Biff85ta
Professional
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I HOPE he is using an INCH LBS torque wrench and not a regular Foot LBS torque wrench!!!!!!

If this is the case, remove the transmission pan and look at the actual band to see if he broke it! Maybe he can see what is going on?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
rhillman75
Rookie

Well then I guess he did not read it correctly no did he. Thank god he is not charging me for this. Is there any chance he f@cked by trying to torque it down to 72 lbs... considering after he rmoved the bolt then re-torqued it to 6 foot pounds (per conversion), it will not shift out of first? Did he damage it by trying to torque it high and backing it off, then filling it with ATF4 then running it in neutral (considering there was noise coming from the pan)? It was ran for about 5 minutes (not driven)!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 AM
rhillman75
Rookie

Just a follow up to the prior post. I don't know if he f@cked up or not. I dropped the pan again, backed off the lock not and removed the adjuster bolt. As far as I can see... when I backed off the bolt to remove it... the armiture did return back down... I did not see any "band" broken, but I did not really see anything in that tight area. I guess at this point I am stopping for the evening. All I know is that the transmission was not shifting out of 1st until about 3000 rpm at normal take. The pan was dropped, filter was changed, governor solenoid was replaced, band lock nut was removed, the first attempt at adjusting was apparently done incorrectly (who knows how tight it actually was tightened (I know at least 30 lbs), then it was all put back together, filled with fluid, and when in neutral you could hear a whining noise coming from the pan. It was ran for maybe 5 minutes (not driven)! The pan was dropped again, lock nut removed, the adjust tightened to 6 foot lbs, backed of 2 turns, lock nut down, filled back up, and now it will not shift out of first... no matter what. I even tried a trip down the street going from 1st to 2nd and then Drive with the shifter manually and to no avail... still no shifting into anything other than first. Looks like it's time for a rental car. So my questions is... is it f@cked!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Did you take any pictures?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I HOPE he is using an INCH LBS torque wrench and not a regular Foot LBS torque wrench!!!!!!
Unfortunately, since he said both torque wrenches in question were half inch drive, it's pretty much guaranteed that he's been trying to tighten it to 72 ft-lbs.....

Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

As far as pictures. No I did not take any. I know that he was only able to get maybe 30 lbs of torque on the adjuster when the screw threads started to disappear quick. I did talk to 2 Dodge tranny guys and they said that it was almost impossible to break that band or he would have heard it (audibly). I am going to re-attempt this myself this evening. I am dropping the pan, filter, and removing both lock nut and adjuster to see if I can take a mirror up there and look for any damage. The Dodge guys said that most likely the reason it will not go out of 1st is because it is way out of adjustment now. I just got it towed to my house so I will know in the next few hours. If anyone cares to help out over the phone... I would love some input. This is the price you pay when someone owes you money and you decide to let him pay you in services! Just think... I have owned an electronics business for over 18 yeras (automotive) and all he owed me was for a remote start for his wifes car from Christmas. So far my side of the deal works great!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

Hey just a quick question about pictures got to thinking. I noticed that there is really not enough room to get a good view from the "armiture" area. If I wanted to get a GOOD look, should I think of dropping the valve assembly or is there another way besides sticking a 1 inch mirror up in the tight area to get a "limited" look. I am just trying to prepare for the worse and hope for the best!

Quick Reply: Problem with torque on adjusting band screw!