1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

torsion/shackle lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the keys are no different than cranking the existing t-bar bolts, save your money and just use whats already there and yes you need 2" t/s and 3" BL to fit 33's

Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youll have to remove the hitch if you have one, for mine that was the easy part. Get some penetrating lube for the torsion bolts, it will make it WAY easier to turn them.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Youll have to remove the hitch if you have one, for mine that was the easy part. Get some penetrating lube for the torsion bolts, it will make it WAY easier to turn them.

As been said before you DO NOT need to remove the hitch. Just llosten the bolts and get a hacksaw in there and cut them off. Replace with new bolds going fron the outside in and be done with it. That way if you want to go back to stock it will be 10x easier

Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Okay Jason, have fun cutting the bolts with a hack saw for 20 minutes, when you can remove the hitch in 5-10 minutes. The bolts the write up said to use were way too long for me to reinstall the bolts with the nuts facing inwards and I didn't want to cut them because I didnt want to destroy the threads and not be able to get the nuts off and on. So to that I say, do what you think is easier. Oh and my bolts were so badly seized up that I had no choice but to remove my hitch so I could wrestle the bolts out.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Okay Jason, have fun cutting the bolts with a hack saw for 20 minutes, when you can remove the hitch in 5-10 minutes. The bolts the write up said to use were way too long for me to reinstall the bolts with the nuts facing inwards and I didn't want to cut them because I didnt want to destroy the threads and not be able to get the nuts off and on. So to that I say, do what you think is easier. Oh and my bolts were so badly seized up that I had no choice but to remove my hitch so I could wrestle the bolts out.

Ive done it. Backed the nut off and hit it to back the bolt out to get the sawzall blade in there and cut the head of the bolt off then just pulled it out from the nut side. Not that hard really. Took that bolt down to the hardware store and picked up some new ones the same lenght got some nuts too. only cost about 4 bucks. Put the new shackles on and run the pold in with the nut on the inside everything went together nice and easy. My bolts were seized in the bushings to but nothing some bp blaster and some strong arms couldnt fix

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

+ 1 MoparMan1991 what size tires are you running

Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I went to the parts store and couldnt find shoulder bolts to replace the ones i took out, the ones I removed were destroyed from using a hammer and vice grips to twist/mash them out. It only cost you $4? have fun when your bolts snap sir, I got all grade 8 and the washers/bolts/nuts alone cost me $30.

Topdogcustoms, Im running 31's. An odd sized tire (P235/85 R16) but that was all they had for that height at the time. Im running on Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T. They have a very aggressive tread and cost about $800 for all four. Stock I had 265's on but the tire guy was an idiot, and with the aggressive tread I was concerned about rub anyway. They are Load E tires so they have a max pressure of 80 - 85 PSI but I run them at 50 PSI because of the harder rubber. I can also guarantee they arent under inflated that way.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

they look good!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Thanks! Now I just need to fork out $40 to get 4 new wheel caps. As you can see in my picture, I am missing the front drivers cap, and two of them dont even match, theres a flat ram logo and a raised chrome logo. Im confused as to how they even got like that.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Van Order
As been said before you DO NOT need to remove the hitch. Just llosten the bolts and get a hacksaw in there and cut them off. Replace with new bolds going fron the outside in and be done with it. That way if you want to go back to stock it will be 10x easier
I'll back Jason up all day long on this.

All you have to do is back it off just enough to get a Sawzall in there and cut the stinkin bolt off and install new bolts in a flash, not to mention you don't have to fight to get the old bolts to tighten back up, nor do you have to drop the spare tire, and lastly, you can put the new bolts in the right way!

Now using a hacksaw, well I sure as hell wouldn't use the manual way.....LOL.....bring on the power tools!

Quick Reply: torsion/shackle lift