Waterwetter users?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Bamboo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterwetter users?

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

Since the warmer weather has arrived in Portland I continue to fight a slight amount of ping at higher rpms. Now with temps in the 80's I can't even run the Hypertech 93 program without a disturbing amount of clatter. 100 octane racing gas is the only thing that completely eliminates the detonation but it's way too expensive to use all the time. Yes, I've checked for a leaky belly pan gasket and I'm good to go. The motor is not burning a drop of oil between extended oil changes.

My idea is to reduce my 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water down to around 75% water to 25% anti-freeze and add the Waterwetter. I'm hoping that by eliminating the combustion chamber hot spots with the product that the pinging will be reduced or eliminated.

I love Redline's oil products based on analysis tests, and I've heard a lot of good things about Waterwetter. I was wondering if any of you use it now :?: Thoughts or comments :?:

Old 07-09-2004, 05:40 AM
RuckstaR
Professional
Default RE: Waterwetter users?

I used waterwetter in my old camaros and I could see a noticeable difference in operating temperature in summer months. While a wetter will not solve an overheating condition, it will cool the engine down, allow more uniform heat transfer, and help warmups.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:07 PM
redpepper99

Does it sound like a piston rod from the drivers side? I don't know what else it could be. Have you changed to a lower thermostat, that could help cause it would open up sooner. I guess another way to help cool the engine is to switch to a electric fan. keep me updated. I also have a ping noise from the engine and usually when I change oil it goes away, but then comes back. It doesn't get real loud but, just annoying. any thoughts for me?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Bamboo
Rookie

One of the first mods I did was a Robert Shaw 180 T-stat. I've had a flex-a-lite electric fan setup on and removed it after a few months. The stock clutch fan does a much better job at keeping an even temperature and is not prone to failure. The detonation is strictly related to the programmer settings, and since I don't want to stop using it (makes a big difference in performance) I'm just trying to figure out other ways to minimize or eliminate the issue as much as possible. Thanks for the reply's guys!

Old 07-09-2004, 11:10 PM
rockadaous
Professional

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm
bamboo this may help you $7.99 for 12oz

Old 07-14-2004, 01:03 AM
jhnrckr

I hope you understand what detonation from too much timing will do to your motor. If you want your motor to hold together I would suggest a high flow water pump, a cooler thermostat and a flex fan. Use only a good brand of 93 octane gas and probbly some octane boost.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Bamboo
Rookie

I don't have any problems with overheating in anyway shape or form. It's pre-ignition that'll kill your motor.......detonation or pinging and pre-ignition are two different animals.

I ran across this article a couple of years ago which clears up a lot of mis-perceptions:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...ne/Detonation/

Old 07-14-2004, 05:32 PM
jhnrckr

You are right, pre-ignition will kill your motor but detonation will kill your motor even quicker. The programmer settings work by stepping up your timing and you will get a noticable horspower boost but the combustion chamber pressure/heat is too much for the fuel that you are using causing it to detonate early. This is putting way too much stress on your wrist pins/rods and bearings and sooner or latter one or all of the above is going to fail. You will need to find a source of higher octane fuel in order to prevent detonation. Check out aviation fuel if you have a little airport by you, it is not subject to the same taxes and may be cheaper than buying race fuel.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Bamboo
Rookie

You have it backwards, pre-ignition will destroy your motor MUCH quicker than detonation. Pinging or detonation is actually quite a common occurance in today's vehicles. Aviation fuel is an absolute no no for an automobile engine. The long term effects will kill your motor as well. The chemical properties are vastly different because of the environment the engine and gasoline are subjected to. I'll figure it out eventually by tweaking the settings and using different brands of gas.

The programmers work great as advertised, no question about that.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM
jhnrckr

the biggest no-no with the aviation gas in a car is the tax that you are not paying. I know many race boaters that run it exclusively and they have no problems but it is a pain in the butt to get it and to big of a hassle for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Waterwetter users?