1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

No 4th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
GCash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 4th Gear

Ive got a 98 Dodge Neon SOHC, Automatic. i've got an engine light, code P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical. is this the sensor located behind the trans dipstick tube or or the one all the way to the driver side of the trans. i've got no 4th gear, and the car pops out of drive when you floor it and goes into neutral. it doesn't slip, the shifter it self actually moves. I adjusted the kickdown and it does the same thing. fluid and filter are new. any ideas? thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I didnt know neons had 4 gears? I thikl "the fourth gear" Is your torque converter locking up. Sounds like the kick-down lever is sticking. I think the torque converter sensor is front right. It has 3 wires and a rubber clip.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:13 PM
GCash

your probally right. that could be the converter locking up. it gets up around 45 and and the rpms are up there like its got to another gear to go. but i got another motor/trans i'll pull that sensor out and change it and see what happens. whats the sensor behind the dipstick do?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I think thats the speedo sensor.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

If its shifting at weird rpms, and its moving your shifter if you floor the gas, I still say the kick down arm is sticking. I have unplugged my torque converter and if i remember correctly it just kicked into gear alot harder.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
GCash

It seems to shift fine. i thought the sensor on the back of the trans was the VSS? any way of lubing the kick down arm up or anything? your talking about where it connects to the top of the trans right? that little stud?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yea, it has a cable that runs to the throttle body. Have someone put the car in 1st gear, and push the pedal up and down, then put in back in park. While you stand under the hood watch the operation of the arm, you should notice the stick. I use some wd-40 in the process. It will either break loose, or break. I think it has 2 arms there that should move separately from each other. Its been a year since I messed with an auto, so my descriptions may be way off.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

VSS? Vehicle speed sensor? I dont know abbreviations.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
streetracer88
All Star

not to make any of you wrong but i had the same problem and my mechanic said that it was in the trans and it would cost $600 to fix plus another $400 for stupid stuff that i couldnt do so i got rid of my car after dumping lots of money into it because i really needed another car at the time so your best bet is if you got another good tranny pull the one in your car out and put that one in but thats my 2 cents i could be wrong but thats what i was told and my car shifted smooth just kept the CEL on

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit or park/neutral switch failure. Thats what ur cel is on for right?

Quick Reply: No 4th Gear