1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

well it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default well it finally happened

well yesterday i heard a little tapping in my motor and a bad oil smell....
for those that have ever taken a motor apart, the smell was the same oil smell you get when you remove the main bolts from the head...ugh...

well i decided to drive the car 3 miles home to check the oil and probally add some...well, by the time i got home the rod knocking was so loud you could hear it a block away......it pisses me off

so in a week or so im getting another neon to use as my work car and my r/t will be put in the garage so i can start ripping it apart...

within the next week or two im gonna order:
performance bottom end rebuild kit
egr block off kit
crane valve springs
crane #14 cams
booger bushings
30lb. fuel injectors
and maybe a hallman pro boost controller, stainless steel brake lines, msd dis-2, OBX limited slip, new fenders, and a body kit

while its in the garage im also gonna install some new koni struts, mopar high rate springs, the new head that im in the process of port and polishing, and then will come one hell of a motor

moral of the story......dont turbo a motor with 150,000 milesand completely stock internals and oil pump

Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: well it finally happened

man that sucks....nowu got me worried[&:]but did you have the car tuned? u have a wideband a/f ratio? as soon as u run lean, its all over.... i mean even with the build you are about to do....u still gotta get it tuned..

Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 AM
99 Neon
Veteran

sucks man but hey im gettin the bottom end rebuild kit too lol expensive shat!! sucks but if you love your neon its worth it

Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

sorry to hear it, and wuss for scaring everyone.i would guess bad tune, but you never gave the info, so i could be wrong. my engine has 150k on it, i will tell you how she pans out.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i dont have a wideband....but i tuned it...the tune wasnt too bad, it ran real good....
i would assume the cause was the 3000 miles over on the oil change and the fact that i lost alot of oil out of the pcv valve all the time....and forgot to add some for a while[:-]
a day before it happened i installed a home made catch can, too bad i dont know if it worked...
next time im gonna check the oil alot more

besides, i drove the hell out of that car before i put the turbo on and even more after, so honestly im surprised that it lasted as long as it did
i knes it was gonna go out eventually, i just hoped it would last another 3 or so weeks until i got the other motor redy......
i just cant wait to put it in the garage so i can start ripping it apart

you shouldnt have to worry about any of this happening to your car as long as you keep an eye on your oil...and like i said, mymotor had a real hard life....160,000 miles on a car of mine is a real long life

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
das2123
Legend

If you do turbo a car, any car, you need to make a habit of popping the hood and checking hoses, lines, oil levels and so on. I am not that sorry to hear your misfortune only because I wanna see the SRT-4 turbo on a built engine

Old 02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

my car has about 160k miles on it too spud, there were times when i did drive it a little aggressive...but i barely do now...i really think you ran lean and thats what caused your engine to go...u were on stock injectors, correct?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
QuiK615
Veteran

ORIGINAL: das2123

If you do turbo a car, any car, you need to make a habit of popping the hood and checking hoses, lines, oil levels and so on. I am not that sorry to hear your misfortune only because I wanna see the SRT-4 turbo on a built engine
go for it

Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ORIGINAL: das2123

I am not that sorry to hear your misfortune only because I wanna see the SRT-4 turbo on a built engine
im not sorry either...this is just what i needed to help persuade the wife to let me spend an *** load of money on my carand i finally get the motor done...soon im gonna have a $30,000 neon....
im gonna take alot of pics...
the wife wants to take the car to the drag strip when its done, i dont know what kind of hourse power i will be looking at, but i hope its alot...
i guess my goal of being able to beat a Z06 will be comming a little closer

hey fast, atleast your neon has had a break.....i was never able to drive my car very nicely, i drive these poor cars into the ground...everyone at work calls me mario andretti because of my lead foot

i was running the stock injectors with about 70psi of fuel pressure.....but if anything other then oil caused the problem then i would bet it had sumthing to do with the map clamp....piece of junk.....when anyone puts the srt turbo on their car, get the one from hahnracecraft....its 100.00, but its non adjustable so no tuning of it is involved

Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain

Spud save some money and make your own EGR block off, Take the orginal gasket and cut a piece of aluminum to the size of the gasket and get a coin for the other hole and your good to go =D

Quick Reply: well it finally happened