1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1993 d150 trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
aaronteagueautomotive
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 d150 trans problems

My 93 d150 has lost its second gear and doesn't want to kick down my ffather in law owned the truck before be and he said he changed the filter and front and rear seals on the trans but then it sat up a year or more before i got it now the seals are leaking again so could it be possible it could be the filter or possibly a shift selinoid? please help i need my truck back asap

Old 01-17-2014, 05:58 PM
RamD21
Default Qty. of speeds of my Transmission

Can you help me to try to identify if this transmission is 4 or 5 speed?

Attached Thumbnails 1993 d150 trans problems-dodge-ram-93-motor-y-transmision-std..jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 PM
LA6-250
Rookie

I have the a904 in my d250. when it went out it was because the shift linkage cable got a snag and caused the clutch packs to burn up. basically, check all of the shift components, before you start breaking the thing down.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:38 PM
owlafaye

No second gear? Simple...the adjustment screw (with locknut) on the side of the transmission is too far out. Loosen the locknut and back out the screw two or three turns...slowly screw it back in until you reach resistance, then screw it in 1/2 turn to 1 full turn...lock tight. Be careful, turning the locknut sometimes turns the adj. screw...make sure locknut stays in one position while screwing in adj. screw.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:26 PM
cgwagpner2
Default D-150 Granny no 4th gear overdrive

My 1993 d-150 want shift to 4th(i assume it has it) and the speedometer is roughly 9-10 mph off. Can anyone help me understand how I correct the shift issue? I'm thinking the difference in mph is directly related to the shifting issue....?

Old 07-08-2017, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

What size tires, and what gears in the axles?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:10 AM
owlafaye

Originally Posted by cgwagpner2
My 1993 d-150 want shift to 4th(i assume it has it) and the speedometer is roughly 9-10 mph off. Can anyone help me understand how I correct the shift issue? I'm thinking the difference in mph is directly related to the shifting issue....?
The shift into lockup of your torque converter is very hard to detect. Only a tachometer will tell you for sure.

Install a new lockup torque converter? Maybe...solved my lack of upshifting into (4th) top gear (lockup)

The speedometer issue is probably an incorrect speedometer cable.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM
cgwagpner2

Originally Posted by owlafaye
The shift into lockup of your torque converter is very hard to detect. Only a tachometer will tell you for sure.

Install a new lockup torque converter? Maybe...solved my lack of upshifting into (4th) top gear (lockup)

The speedometer issue is probably an incorrect speedometer cable.

I can tell by the sound of the engine that it never shifts out of 3rd. There's no attempt to move from 33rd to 4th. Sho should I have a 5th gear?

Old 07-09-2017, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

I can tell by the sound of the engine that it never shifts out of 3rd. There's no attempt to move from 33rd to 4th. Sho should I have a 5th gear?
Sorta..... You have four "real" gears, and then TCC lockup. Lockup drops RPM around 200 or so.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:23 PM
owlafaye

If it is a pre-93 you don't have a "5th" gear nor a "4th" gear......It is a 3 speed with a lock-up torque converter...like an overdrive.

The sound of the engine isn't going to make it. I find that my lock-up function is so smooth and slow that sound isn't a relaible indicator...a tach is the only way to know as far as I can see.

You really don't give very much information...I would think you would have referred to your underhood build sheet and Googled the info you will find there? It should plainly state the type of transmission.

You have not stated as to whether you adjusted the side (clutches) adjusting screw. With the lock nut loose, you back out the stem, making sure the locknut is held in one position. Then you slowly screw the stem in until you meet resistance...then turn it in one more turn. Holding the stem, you screw the locknut in and tighten it. This explanation is detailed simply because the lock nut will adhere to the stem if you don't hold it in one position.

If you still don't get an upshift, screw it in another turn.

This nut and stem are very difficult to get to...I suggest you disconnect all linkages surrounding the area to ease access.

Quick Reply: 1993 d150 trans problems