1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes Pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM
durec
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Brakes Pulsating

My 88 D100 began to sway a little in the back end as well as bounce more than ever. So I began examining the shocks and found the old Monroe's to be very worn, so I replaced then with KTB Excel's. Once I had that knocked out, I began to feel more tire bounce at 50-55 mph, so I had the wheels balanced....all was well.

But...my brakes didn't feel right, the rear would grab at times with no rhyme or reason. So my buddy took off my drums and calipers and we inspected and bled the system. I found that I did not have much pad nor shoe wear...still around 60% or more remaining. But, my roters and my drums were bad...so I replaced both. I also needed to replace my calipers.

Here's the issue now...

When I start out each morning, the brakes work fine, but the longer I continually drive it, the more it begins to pulse whenever I press the brakes. My pedal feels normal. If I drive it to work (20 minutes) the pulse is somewhat noticeable. If I drive it for 45 minutes plus, the pulsations are more obvious and noticeable. Darn distracting.

I could use some insight folks; do you think it may be that I should have went ahead and replaced pads & shoes even though my wear wasn't much; could it be that my replacement drums need to be turned to make sure that they are exactly as round as can be; could my self adjuster system be out of whack, or what other options are left??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Why did you replace the calipers?

How old are the soft lines to the calipers?

Pads/shoes might be glazed..... or, you might have a caliper hanging up...... Rear pads installed properly? (the one with the shorting friction lining goes on the FRONT of the drum.)

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 AM
moparborn
All Star

Do you know if the pulsing is coming from front(can you feel anything in the steering wheel)or back (in the seat).
Cheap rotors or drums.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM
durec
Rookie

Thanks for the help. The pulsation was coming from the back. I did purchase 3 different sets of after-market drums and none would stop the pulsating...it actually got worse. I ended up going to a salvage yard and pulling an original set of good drums off of a 1989 D150 and put those on my D100. It works like a charm....no more pulsating at all. Go Figure that one out!!

I'd love to hear anyone's advise on why the old original drums work over after-market. I even used calipers to measure any differences between the two, but from measurements alone...I could not determine any tangible different between original and after-market,

Thanks everyone...appreciate the help

Old 04-28-2017, 12:17 PM
moparborn
All Star

Probably made in chinkland,junk metal,poor machining,basicaly junk,easily warps.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been struggling with the same problem. i notice mine when i am coming to stops from the rear. feels like I am on a bumpy road. i have swapped two sets of aftermarket drums and the problem is still there. i am going to have the set I have now turned to see how out of round they are. The only other thing i notice is the way they set on the wheel studs. They have a bit more play than the stock. perhaps they are shifting slightly when I tighten the wheel down on them and making them off center. What ever it is it is driving me crazy. i thought it was a bent rim for sure.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I make it a habit to spin up drums and rotors on the lathe, before reinstalling them. Even new ones. They ALL have a bit of warp to them. The longer they sit on the shelf, generally the worse they are.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 AM
emnestor
Professional
Default Crap drums

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I make it a habit to spin up drums and rotors on the lathe, before reinstalling them. Even new ones. They ALL have a bit of warp to them. The longer they sit on the shelf, generally the worse they are.
Pulled these off the shelf at O'Rielys and placed them directly on the lathe. These things are so far out. Look at the pic. After three passes half the drum is still not making contact. No wonder it feels like I am driving on bumpy roads all the time. Had a video of it on the lathe as well but dont know how to upload that.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:48 AM
durec
Rookie

Great info. What's the best advice you can give to us that do not have a late at home? Take new drums to a machine shop?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:41 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by durec
Great info. What's the best advice you can give to us that do not have a late at home? Take new drums to a machine shop?
tell the parts store to put them on the lathe. I was able to use Orielys lathe myself. Most part stores have a lathe. Buy them and then hand them back and tell them to turn them for you.
The one I bought and started turning, in the picture, was so bad I gave it back to them.