1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bought an ‘88 D250 to fight boredom

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 11:18 PM
ShootinOK
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still struggling with it dying on take-off.
Think I’ve found all the vacuum leaks, and it idles nice, but if I stop it dies when attempting to accelerate from stop. He’ll start right back up.

back to investigating the quadrajet tune…also, is there another little filter in the cylindrical space where the gas line enters?

Old 04-12-2023, 07:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 580 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by ShootinOK
Oh - on the original fuzzy crumbly headliner, liner, I brushed off the loose dust and put a couple coats of clear paint on it attempting to seal it up. That seemed to wrk OK then I used spray glue to adhere the fabric. I had a partial can and 1 coat didn’t stick well enough. I purchased a can of 3M77 and that worked really well sticking the foam backed fabric to the old liner.
Now need to clean the seat, seatbelts, and carpet.

You need to wire brush all the old foam off before you put the new fabric on it. Cigarette smoke breaks the foam down and if you glue to the old foam, when i comes off, there goes your new headliner.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:06 PM
ShootinOK

Think I figured it out!
I chased a few vacuum leaks, adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge and set the idle with a tach, he’d idle beautifully but when I put it in gear, he’d stall and die. Started right back up every time.

I pulled the #1 and #2 plugs and was super happy to see their condition.

Convinced it was a fuel issue, I changed the fuel filter - again. Thought maybe I was pumping debris from the tank.
The I decided to see if the fuel was taking the path of least resistance and flowing back to the tank in the return line instead of pushing up to the carb.
I pinched off the return line with a vise grip and it didn’t die around the block.
so I disconnected the return line and capped the outlet on the fuel filter. This actually seams to have worked!

Old 05-06-2023, 10:21 AM
ShootinOK

Well… that solution didn’t last. Started dying again a day later.
tested fuel pressure and I’m getting 6lbs so fuel pump is good. I’ve reconnected the return line and back to being confused 😐

Old 05-06-2023, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Carbed? Is the accelerator pump weak?

Old 07-17-2023, 11:55 PM
ShootinOK

Update — been a while since I gave one, so here goes…
When I was working on the interior, I noticed that after I’d left the key on for about 40mins it started but ran terrible. This made me think something electrical was heating up and giving me trouble.
I replaced the ignition coil and seem to have solved the stalling issue. Gus is running like a champ and hasn’t missed a step since.

Re-energized with a now strong running engine, I replaced the seat cover with a brand spankin new old blanket and used some pieces of the torn-up one that was on the seat for the door panels.

gratuitous pic here…

Old 07-18-2023, 12:06 AM
ShootinOK

Next I decided to tackle the bed rust that can been in the previous pics.
I wire brushed it, and brushed on some Ospho. If you aren’t aware of Ospho - it’s awesome.
I primed the now clean metal and hand sanded the whole bed to prep for the Raptor Liner.

Really happy with the results. I used the 4qt kit and is was enough, but really would have liked to have one more quart for a little heavier coverage. I went over the rails and used a tape from Amazon with a little wire in one side for a clean edge.

Progress pics and finished bed.

Quick Reply: Bought an ‘88 D250 to fight boredom