2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 AM
milous
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

^^^ Great instructions to keep for future reference...

pcguru2k owns a Jeep SRT8 and posted on the boards therethat he left the battery unhooked overnight and when plugged back in the next morning the update resumed and finished with no issues, all is good for now.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 AM
pcguru2k

Great Info futil. Everything is back to normal.... Phheewww! I pulled my negative terminal from my battery and left it unplugged for the whole night. Had to do this since the screen would not power itself off and just stayed on for hrs. Didn't want my battery to drain. So I wake up this morning go plug my battery back in and once again since the cd was inserted in MyGig, the system attempted to do the update again. But this time the update got past the point it failed last time and then completed I guess the MyGig just needed to be completed powered down for a while

Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, Im glad everything is working again.. I get upset when people's radios stop working and I was hoping that you would get it back up and running.. (Not like crying upset.. but very concerned upset where it bothers me all day until I think of a solution)

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Kaiju54

So around the end of March we should expect the new software at the dealers? I'm gonna contact Riverhead Dodge and see if they got any info.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 AM
futil
Veteran

I just sent in my beta survey and requested an ETA on the official release.. Hopefully it wasn't pushed back again. The official releases should be posted here before the dealers actually get the official releases. So if you don't mind installing them you can updateyour MyGIGfrom the comfort of your own home.

Just make sure you have a lot of time on your hands cause the last 2 DVDs take forever to install and the Nav Database update is so large its shipped on a dual layer DVD. If all you care about is installing the software updates then that install doesn't take that long.. its only about 20 minutes.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 AM
futil
Veteran

Harman Becker replied about the release date, They said they are shooting for Friday March 8th as a release date and the software Version will be 9.711.

They are still just working on 2 bugs which is holding up the release.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
RobertR

Excellent......thanks for keeping us informed.

Hey don't you ever sleep?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
jvandover
Amateur

I was just at the dealership (oil change, etc) and asked about a Mygig update, they said their was nothing there, but they said they ordered a DVD and would call me when it is in. We will see what it is.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 PM
TBoneElbow

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with the Navigation version of the HK. I got the car this week, and the HK software version is 9.665. I tried to follow the version info in this thread, but I am not sure I have it right, so here's a question:

I copied MP3 files to the HD. Here's a couple examples to show you how the files are arranged:

Beatles/Abbey Road/01 - Come Together.mp3
Beatles/Abbey Road/08 - Because.mp3

When the radio plays the album, "Because" plays first: the tracks are played/listed alphabetically. The track display omits the leading track number and hyphen, so clearly the HK software is parsing the filename.

Will the imminent update fix that problem? Should the problem appear in the 9.665 version I have?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:16 AM
futil
Veteran

Hey TboneElbow,

I don't think what you are experiencing is an "issue" or at least its not a bug.. It should be happening to everyone and I don't think Harman Becker would view it as a bug either..
its the way the radio was designed to copy music to the hard drive.

Ill explain..
The MyGIG radio doesn't read any data off ofa normal CD, it just rips each track then provides names for each song using the Gracenotes database.. Otherwise you end up with a track1 track2 etc..

With MP3s (in your case) it pulls song names from the Gracenotes database then ittries tofind any info within the MP3 ID3v1 music data tag (That's the older format that is restricted to shorter names). I'm not sure if it even tries checking in the ID3v2 music data tags (Which allows for moredata)butany way it pulls the data for the MP3 it definitely seems to disregardtrack numbers if the MyGIG even stores that information at all.If it finds the song info in the Gracenotes database then it probably use that name first.

The probablereason why they did it that way is because you are creating playlists in the MyGIG that can consist of music from multiple different artists, albums, collections, etc and the chances are that there are many of the same track numbers.. Sothe MyGIGwould end up playing the first song from each album mixing up the music worse than alphabetical order so I suppose they thought alphabetical was the way to go.. But itmight be nice to include the artists name in the grouping.. Currently I haveabout 40 songs in a single playlist but the MyGIG arranged them all alphabetically and didn't include the artists when it considered alphabetical playback order so when I play that playlist I get a mess of different genres playing outof sync which sucks when I'm in the mood to hear a certain type of music but have to skip over all the genres that I'm not in the mood for.

Abetter classification for this issue would be poor software design.. which isa shame because the MyGIG is a pretty cool radio and it's almost like it's not finished and was rushed out.. it just needsquite a few but small designchanges to go from a good radio to a great radio.

I think the bottom line would be they need to add more sorting algorithm optionsinstead of offering only one way to sort the playlist. You probably can get away with editing each one of the song names to append the track numbers but the interface is soclumsy in doing so that I'm not sure if it would be worth all the effort.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update