2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

Just so you know, That is still beta software being installed and offered as the latest software.

The release date for the Software, Gracenotes DB and the Navigation Database is still around 2 weeks.

If you guys really want to install the beta you can as the software CD seems stable. The Gracenotes and Navigation CDs that were sent to me were corrupt and I was barely able to finish the install to get my radio functioning again.

I don't think anyone will release the database DVD at thistime because you need a code from Harman Becker to install it and since its still in betaif Harman Becker starts getting requests for the code they will know the beta software was released to the public, thereby jeopardizing the beta tester's statusthat released it.

But yes there are 3 Update CD/DVDs which I am planning on releasing to you all but I wanted to offer a non beta version as I didn't want to see anyone screwing up their radios.
Software Update CD
Gracenotes Database DVD (Bricked my radio)
and the Navigation Database Update DVD

Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
obrienj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

futil,

Thanks for the clarification. The Jeep forum made it sound like release software but it didn't include Gracenotes or NAV db. In fact , a post spoke of a $200 charge for update NAV that they got from NavEq which I didn't think was correct in this case.

Having been in the software development business for 40+ years, I clearly understand the meaning of "beta" and am glad for your explanantion as it could prevent unwanted problems.

If I could get to the command line of the Posix system I wouldn't be so concerned but since I can't, I'll gladly wait.

Regards,
Jim O'Brien

Old 02-25-2008, 04:06 PM
futil
Veteran

Actually HB apparently caught wind of the release and arent too happy about it especially since it wasnt listed as BETA. You can probably expect that post to either go down or the beta tester to lose his beta tester status.

The Software version numbers right now are at 9.707 so the beta software offered is already outdated.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM
obrienj

HB should yank the beta testers credentials if not more.

Posting the beta could lead to no end of unnecessary issues for both HB , Chrysler, and other HB clients.

I was fortunate when I ran beta tests, the testers were corporate entities who took the agreement seriously (at least their legal departments did).

I look forward to the final and official releases.

Regards,
Jim

Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
milous
Rookie

ORIGINAL: obrienj
Posting the beta could lead to no end of unnecessary issues for both HB , Chrysler, and other HB clients.
As I understand it, information that it was a beta version was not left outintentionally, it came froma non-beta testerwho was sent a disc to correct some issues and who had thought it was a regular release and forwarded it to another member who uploaded it to a file share site. As noted the links have all been removed.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
futil
Veteran

Unfortunately a lot of beta testers have been releasing beta images as actual software releases... They want to look like they have the software before everyone else and have the hookup.. And I can understand that but at least post the images up as beta and not mislead people. (I can understand that in that instance it may have been a misunderstanding.. but there are a lot of people offering the same beta image out there when they know its beta)

My main goal here is to help people and by giving out the beta software when the release date is so close I feel that would just lead to more problems such as non functional radios which completely goes against what I am trying to do here.. Trust me its really tempting to say here ya go check it out.. But it really sucks when you brick your radioand thats worse than chancing any beta update.. So I would rather just test it out and help HB get the official software out asap so I can hook you guys up with a real release.

Not to mention Im gonna get all sorts of PMs asking how to get a bricked radio going again..

But I promise all of you that when I get the official version I will post it as soon as the software is in my hands and I check the CDs/DVDs for defects. and it wont be a bogus beta version.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
nightshade72

ORIGINAL: obrienj

The Jeep guys seem to have the software update (9.705) and acknowledge that some dealers do.

See http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...724&page=4

Are we waiting for more than just the software update. What they have doesn't seem to include Gracenotes or Nav disk?

Regards,
Jim

Spoke with Navteq today, the NAV updates are not out for us yet.. But they sounded like they are going ot be announced soon.. they want 199 for the updated maps..

I have already installed 9.705 and can say that it is considerably faster.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 AM
futil
Veteran

Im pretty sure Harman Becker is going to provide theNav update for free when they release.. they sent me a Nav Database DVD which upgraded all the maps, POI etc.. and it was free..

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
pcguru2k

To make a long story short. I was trying to update the firmware on MyGig on my '08 and during the process it failed. Now the screen will just stay stuck at "Emergency Update" and will not power off. I had to disconnect the negative from my battery otherwise the screen would just stay on forever. There's a disc inside and it looks like everytime it boots up it tries to read that bad disc. Is there like a emergency disc eject on this system? I tried pushing the Open/Close button but the disc still won't come out.. Please Help

Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
futil
Veteran

Sorry I took so long to reply, I was really busy at work for the past few days..

1) Well first you should download a working version of the software and re-burn it. Try burning at 2x speed as the slower you burn a CD the more reliable the data is. (The burns are tighter and better defined on a CD or DVD at lower speeds)

2) Reattach your battery cables and make sure you have power to your radio.

3) Then open the radio's touch screen face. To open the radio face, Pry the top lip of the face of the radio downwards and after it starts moving then press down on the top of the face. Continueloweringthe face of the radio until it is completely open. I use a credit card sideways, slide it into the gap and use that to pry the face down without damaging or marking the radio face. (Push up on the bottom of the credit card)

4) Press the SEEKUP - SEEKDOWN - and NAV hard keys on the radio all at the same time. That should eject your CD/DVD.

5) Insert the fresh copy of the software installation CD.

6) Manually close the face of the radio.

7) Check to see if the install restarted. If it did then continue with the install until completion and remove the CD when you see the Update x.xxx to x.xxx screen again. Hopefully that should do it.

If the install does not start then continue with the rest of these instructions:

8) Open up your engine hood and go to your fuse box which is located on theright side of the engine compartment, Press in the 2 top tabs on the fuse box and lift up from where the tabs are towards the front of the carto open the fuse box, then pull out fuse # 20 (15 Amp, Blue) which is the fuse for the radio.

Name:  RadioFuse.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  123.2 KB

9) Wait 20 seconds, Then insert the fuse again.

That should cycle the radio and initiate a reinstall.

10) Reinstall the software.

In the future if you need to turn off the radio you can just unplug the #20 (15 Amp, Blue) fuse instead of pulling the battery cable which is infinitely easier.

(I originally pulled the entire radio out to cycle it before I even thought of pulling the fuse.. Did that like 3 times before I was like "duh! There's a fuse..")

Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update