2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 AM
TedEbear
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say a big thank you for keeping the Unofficial MyGIG Information Site running. It is the best source for MyGIG updates and related things that I have found anywhere. The dealer service department usually has older versions of the application software than what I've downloaded from that site.

You may not hear it often enough but there are many of us who greatly appreciate your efforts.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
FusterCluck
Default Ability to bulk import MP3's

Hey guys - I tried reading through the thread (and other blogs) to see if this was already asked & answered, but I'm running out of gas.

Long story short, bought a '08 Jeep GG with the MyGig system (RER radio). I have tried multiple iPods and multiple different flash drives, but the import process keeps bombing (or won't recognize the media). Usually, it gets to a certain percentage (like 3%) then the radio just shuts off and reboots. I end up getting like 20 songs uploaded out of a few thousand. Like I said, I have tried different pieces of media and I have tried chopping the songs down into shorter playlists. No luck. The farthest I ever got was like 50%.

I've taken it to my dealer. They tried loading software updates, and then replacing the unit with another RER. That didn't work. Now the dealership gave me some information to try and contact Harman Becker. I checked out their website and all I could do was submit a service request. No response yet.

Am I SOL? Is there a way to accomplish this rather simple task. If I have to burn 500 CDs, I am going to rip the damn thing out and replace it. HELP!!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
TedEbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by FusterCluck
Is there a way to accomplish this rather simple task. If I have to burn 500 CDs, I am going to rip the damn thing out and replace it. HELP!!
I can't say for sure why it's not working right but a DVD will hold 4.7GB worth of music. You wouldn't have to burn too many of those before you'd fill up your MyGIG HDD.

I know you said you already tried the USB thumb drive with little success. That's how I transfer all of my music. I have a mirror image on my PC HDD of everything on MyGIG. I use iTunes to create the playlists and then transfer it via the thumb drive. I found it works a lot faster than trying to rip a CD directly to the MyGIG.

You might test one DVD burn and see if that works better for you that what you've tried already.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found a few of my songs once loaded won't play, also there is at least one group of my songs that cause an upload to fail every time. I am 99% sure it has to do with encoding and what format the file is, just haven't taken the time to go through and keep trying different playlist uploads out of that group till I narrow down which file is causing the trouble and examine it. The three files I've looked at so far that upload but don't play back are encoded in VBR but many of my other songs that work fine are as well. If I ever nail down the exact combination that makes it fail I'll be sure to post it up here.

Do all your songs fail to upload? Also what format are you using?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
FusterCluck
Default RE: Ability to bulk import MP3's

Thanks Ted. I will try the DVD option. I tried using a flash drive, but got an error that said the radio didn't recognize the device. After checking the manual, it mentioned that all USB devices must be "MSD (mass storage device) compliant". I tried googling that and couldn't find squat. I checked the packaging of a handful of different drives and none of them mentioned anything about this supposed USB standard. The drive I tried was a 16gb SanDisk Cruzer Micro. Not sure why this didn't work. What kind of flash drive did you use?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

The drive I tried was a 16gb SanDisk Cruzer Micro. Not sure why this didn't work. What kind of flash drive did you use?
Hmm...I've used several brands but I have a 4GB version of the SanDisk Cruzer Micro that I've used with no errors transferring to MyGIG. I wonder if it has anything to do with the large storage capacity of your 16GB? I know I used to have conflicts with large hard drives and MS Windows not recognizing the drive or at least not the full capacity.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ted. I will try the DVD option. I tried using a flash drive, but got an error that said the radio didn't recognize the device. After checking the manual, it mentioned that all USB devices must be "MSD (mass storage device) compliant". I tried googling that and couldn't find squat. I checked the packaging of a handful of different drives and none of them mentioned anything about this supposed USB standard. The drive I tried was a 16gb SanDisk Cruzer Micro. Not sure why this didn't work. What kind of flash drive did you use?
I've used a few of those, a Crucial drive and a couple of generic ones with no issue, nothing I have is over 8 gigs though so it could be a size issue as Ted mentioned.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
FusterCluck
Default RE: Ability to bulk import MP3's

Hey Guys - Well the DVD option worked (kind of). I was able to spread my library across 3 DVDs and load them in to the HDD. I must admit, this went more quickly than I expected.

However, after checking the final product only 1950 of my 2450 songs made it to the HDD. I know all of the songs are in MP3 format (I use a 3rd party converter for all downloaded songs), but for some reason they aren't all showing on the saerch.

The only thing I noticed was the search screen didn't seem to like certain artist names like .38 Special. Maybe because it begins with a special character? Have you guys seen anything like this?

By the way, thanks again for recommending the DVD option. I would have kept banging my head against the wall (well Jeep) for a while before trying that option.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
woodeman
Amateur

I used a Kingston 4GB Flash Drive. It had 1600+ songs on it. It loaded 1st time, although it took nearly 30 min to upload. All seems to be fine, although I haven't gone through the whole library.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by jt239
I tryed the update and it seemed to work but when I returned to my vehicle the nav was freakin out. It is trying to update again and keeps giving "serious error (1200)" Can anybody help??
The unit wont respond to anything I do...I want to put the disc back in and try the update again hoping it will clear the error. Any ideas, I am desperate at this point. Thank you.
Reminds me of my Bro inlaw always updating his computer always having problems, I just wait till the necessary updates come and well no problems...nobody is ever happy. Hell I have the cheap radio with 6 speakers and as far as I am concerned it rocks. I might upgrade speakers to the kicker amp and speakers with the sub, will be plenty. Only wish I had U Connectjust for the phone.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update