2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
kissfan4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need wiring help

ok i am going to try to explain this problem to the best of my ability. last summer i tried to install a remote starter on my 2000 dakota 3.9 once i got it installed it worked ecept for the parking lights not lighting up. well i found that i needed another part and was unable to get it so i removed the remote starter and taped up all the wires i spliced into. after that i noticed that my dome lights would not turn out even when the door was closed. to turn them off i had to manually turn them off on the dimmer switch on the headlight switch. i thought i had burned up the headlight switch, so i just recently purchased a new one, installed it and still the lights do not work properly. also when i turn the key on, and the truck does a bulb check everything lights up except for the door ajar light. i have no idea what to do to try and figure this out. is it a door ajar switch gone bad, is it a wire shorting out somewhere, or is it the body control module? i was going to try and do a continuity test on the door switch wires but i dont want to pull the dash to access the "bcm" if there is something else i can try. any help here would be greatly appreciated if you need something explained better you can send me a pm.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: need wiring help

Sounds like you may have cut the door pin wire?

What other part did you need for the parking lights?? It's just the black/yellow wire behind the light switch.....

Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM
kissfan4

in order for this particular starter i needed something for the truck cause the parking lights run on a "-" wire i believe. i am not real sure about this since it has been a while since i messed with it. but the thing is i never cut any wires, all i did was cut the coating off and wrapped the wire around it.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:18 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Actually they are positive. And the output on every starter I've seen is also (+)..... If it did happe to be negative, all you'd need is a relay, which can be found at any radioshack or automotive store.

I wouldn't just wrap the wire around. At least poke a hole through the strands and thread the new wire through the hole, then wrap it around. It won't pull out so easy that way. They should really be soldered though, or at the very least use a T-Tap.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
kissfan4

true, but seeing how it may have caused this problem i am just going to leave it off. i may put it on ebay or something. i am starting to think i may have posibly hooked the starter to the wrong wire and sent a little to much current intot he body control module and fried something inside. my dad is callinga friend of his that works at a dodge dealer to see if i can take itto him so he can hookwhatever computer they have that will tll everything wrong with the truck, so hopefully that willtell theanswer

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

You can't "send" too much current into anything. It will only draw as much as it needs. Current cannot be forced through anything, it can only be "let" through, by the device. So hooking the starter wire to something like say an accessory wire wouldn't do anything. The only way you could have damaged something is sending 12V to a wire that is meant to be grounded, or sending 12V to a 5V wire, but 5V wires are very rare and are usually onlyused by engine control sensors (MAP, IAT, ETC) Nothing under the dash should be 5V. It's probably something simple. Really sounds like the door pin wire(s) to me.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
kissfan4

maybe i did hook a wire that was sending 12v into a wire that should have been grounded or maybe i did cut a wire somehow. i was going to test continuity between the wires running from the door switches to the "bcm" but i found that the "bcm" is located to the right of the glove box and i am not sure how to access it. it looks like i have to remove that side of the dash and that makes me a little nervous witht he airbag being there. is there any other way i can gain access to the "bcm" or at least the wiring that runs to it?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM
DAKAK

B C M SHOULD BE IN DRIVER KICK PANEL

Quick Reply: need wiring help