2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HID Conversion help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010 | 11:45 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain
Default HID Conversion help?

So I am Fairly certain i want to do a 8k HId Conversion for my truck. However I want to be respectful to other drivers so i want to get the correct housing for them.

This is the kit i was looking at on ebay, any other suggestions for kits would be awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...ht_4390wt_1165

Now the only housing kit on ebay looks cheap and i would have to remove my clear corners. I Do not want to do this i just want to replace the headlamp light housing to make it legal and safe.

and any tips on installing the kit would be greatly appriciated since i am kinda flying blind here.

Thanks for your help guys!

on a side note got my 14" glasspack today, very loud in the cab lawl

Old 06-24-2010 | 12:49 AM
cowboy63645
Veteran

If you do a search I am pretty sure they make just a headlight replacement in a projector style lens. I am not positive about that but I am pretty sure I have seen them cause I had them saved on ebay once or twice.

Old 06-24-2010 | 11:19 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Ok well I did my Hid's about 3-4 months ago and this is the kit I got because another member on here(User) had it and he had no problems with it
http://www.mydepots.com/55w-hid-kit-bixenon-p-12.html

This is a 55watt Bixenon kit. Which that one on ebay was a 35 watt and I dont think it is bixenon but I could be wrong. With my kit that I have I rarely use highbeams I do on some occasions but not as often as when I had my stock lights. A could people on here will say respect other drivers and get different lenses if not you will blind other drivers which its true if you leave the headlight adjustment where it is for stock I currently have mine in my stock lenses but I have mine adjusted to where they wont blind other drivers in the like 3-5,000 miles I drove at night the last couple months I only got flashed 3 times. So before you go and spend 130.00 on new lenses adjust the ones on your truck down a bit and you will be fine.

IMG_0231.jpg

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 06-24-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2010 | 12:26 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

and how will I go about adjusting them, is it that torx bit right near the head lights?

also I have a slight problem, for some reason my truck has daytime driving lights which i am assuming is not good for HID purposes. How would i go about disabling the day time driving lights.

They come on when i switch the light switch to off.

Old 06-24-2010 | 12:37 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

I am not sure but I have been told by alot of people that HID's are illegal in bellhousings not meant for HIDs. Again not 100% sure!

Old 06-24-2010 | 12:38 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I think its a torx but not sure ill have to go out and look at my truck and the running lights Im pretty sure that it means your truck came from Canada because they have to have that and if you take it to a dealer they might be able to go into the computer and change it but really it shouldn't effect your hids its basically like running with parking lights and fogs on I do it all the time.

Edit: Not sure about the whole illegal thing

Old 06-24-2010 | 12:49 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

True but the HID bulbs would be running all the time wouldnt they? or is that something separate?

Old 06-24-2010 | 01:01 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran

You need a DRL killer, basically all it is, is one little wire that you put in your truck that over rides your daytime running lights. Fairly simple to do, I will see if I can fnd a link for them for ya.

Old 06-24-2010 | 01:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by SpencerS
True but the HID bulbs would be running all the time wouldnt they? or is that something separate?
But when the running lights are on isnt it only your fogs and parking lights or is it headlights and all?

Old 06-24-2010 | 01:08 PM
SpencerS
|
Captain

Ok heres what i found out about HIDs in stock bellhousings

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

They are illegal to put in stock bell housings that were made for halogen bulbs. So I will have to find some HID compliant bellhousings if i wanted to be completely legal. I probably could slip by law enforcement but it is a shoot and miss situation since where i live there is quite a few street racing gangs around.

EDIT: Just the head lights are on and its dimmer than even my low beams.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion help?