2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmissions

Old 10-28-2011, 02:21 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Transmissions

If you guys and gals need information on your transmissions. I'm always on the forum. I have been with dodge and building transmission for 25 years. Or if you see me posting in the minivan or durango sections and sometimes in the Ram truck. Just send me a message.

The following 4 users liked this post by master tech:
dog dodge (07-03-2021), jamesdeano (08-06-2021), Jocituck (09-26-2021), Vicpennell (07-22-2023)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Missed Again
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Right Gear

OK then, my 2000 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L, auto trans, 120+K miles, seems to “Hunt” for a gear when traveling down the highway. It’ll rev up a couple hundred RPMs, then drop back down for a while. Most sensitive when carrying a load. What do I need to clean? Just had fresh fluid put in by Dodge dealer.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you don't have any DTC's and the transmission shifts fine, then I would replace the TPS and the ground straps both sides of the engine. Then I would have the dealer check for any updates to the TCM controller.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Brian_
Captain

i have a five speed it seems my first, second, and third gear are a little tough to get to go into gear feels like there is something blocking it a bit before i feel it slip into gear. any ideas? i know the description is pretty broad! maybe changing the tranny fluid would help with shift smoothness?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hi Brian
I would try change the fluid first. Maybe try a lighter oil. Like 5 /30w oil or ATF, doesn't need to be mopar oil. How is the clutch pedal? Is it hard to push down, becuase if it is that will also cause shifting problem too. If it is hard to push down, it time to think about doing the clutch.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Brian_
Captain

sorry for the late reply! the clutch pedal goes down relatively easy. ive never changed the tranny fluid before, how hard is that to go about?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 5-speed and just today I heard for the first time a very light "clock, clock, clock" sound. At first I thought it was a rod but it sounded like it's coming from the back of the engine. I pushed the clutch pedal in and the noise stopped. I let the clutch back out and the sound came back. Would that be the throwout bearing that's making the noise?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Hmm, well since you've posted, I guess I'll give you a scenario. I have a friend who's trying to figure out his father-in-law's 2001 Dakota 4.7L with the 45RFE transmission. It's no longer shifting into 4th gear. We got into the valvebody and found that the plate that covers the accumulators broke by the corner bolt, I'm assuming the one for 4th gear. Anyway, we inspected everything and replaced what was needed. After all the effort, the truck still doesn't shift into 4th gear. Do you have any suggestions? Would it be possible that there is internal damage?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well while we are all at it. My 44re going about 15mph in first gear it wants to go to second but it doesnt it will go back and forth(rpms up and down) until you speed up or slow down doesnt matter hot or cold. Also when its cold it will sometimes slip into neutral and wont go back into gear for a couple seconds. I was thinking about doing a filter and fluid flush along with adding some of the zmax tranny stuff.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM
thewade44

Any tips on flushing my trans? It says to only use ATF+4, is there a better oil to use? Dif in synthetic and conv? I live in north Dakota and the winter time is pretty cold here if that affects anything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmissions