2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota Rear open diff so Posi swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Joseph Craft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Dakota Rear open diff so Posi swap

Hello, i am new to this forum and i am having a hard time finding the information i need. i have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 3.7 V6 Auto. and it currently has a 10 bolt rear axle with an open differential. now i have the option of getting a 2002 dodge dakota 2WD 4.7 V8 auto with a 12 bolt axle with a posi differential.

I have done the research on trying an axle swap, but the effort and money that is required to swap the 2wd axle to my 4x4 truck is more then what i would be paying for the truck. so my question is, will the differential itself, be able to swap from the 12 bolt axle to my 10 bolt axle? i do have all the required tools for such a job, but short of buying the truck, tearing apart the rear end and swapping it over and it doesnt fit, then i would have bought the truck for just the prospect of being able to do an engine swap.

if someone has any relevent knowledge about this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

I seriously doubt the 12 bolt carrier, will bolt into the 10 bolt housing. Would be cheaper just to pick up a new posi unit for your 10 bolt.....

Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Joseph Craft

i doubt it would be cheaper since i can get the truck for under $200 CAD. and any posi unit i have found for my truck, is at least $600 USD, before taxes, shipping and currency conversion. that is why i am trying to find any info about the differential swap before i purchase the truck. i would rather spend the $200 CAD then spend close to $1000 CAD for a posi rear differential.

so again, any relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ring gears are different sizes, so, the parts between the two, are not compatible.

I can find trac-lok diffs on rock auto for under 400 bucks..... but, that still needs to make it across the border, and all that entails.

What's the issue with a complete diff swap?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Joseph Craft

well, since you stated that the ring gears are different, i will need to purchase a new ring gear so my gear ratio is kept, and i would also have to purchase new weld on spring seats and weld on shock mounts since they are different between the 2 axles. then there is redoing the brake lines and parking break cables as well. but since you have informed me that neither the rings gears, or the carrier bearings will not work, and it would be too intensive and costly a job to swap over the axles, it is looking like i will be saving my self $200.

thank you for the info you have provided. maybe i will find a posi differential in a junk yard that will fit my application.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Joseph Craft
well, since you stated that the ring gears are different, i will need to purchase a new ring gear so my gear ratio is kept, and i would also have to purchase new weld on spring seats and weld on shock mounts since they are different between the 2 axles. then there is redoing the brake lines and parking break cables as well. but since you have informed me that neither the rings gears, or the carrier bearings will not work, and it would be too intensive and costly a job to swap over the axles, it is looking like i will be saving my self $200.

thank you for the info you have provided. maybe i will find a posi differential in a junk yard that will fit my application.
That is likely going to be your best bet. All you really need is the carrier, you can swap your ring gear over to it. If your phone can do internet while at the yard, you can run the VIN of any possible donor, and see if it has what you want. (use this site. click on 'equipment listing, enter the vin, and see what you get.) If you find one that has what you want, even if it currently has the correct gear ratio, you STILL are going to want to swap in your ring gear. Ring/pinion are a matched set. Mixing and matching pretty much guarantees a noisy rear end.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joseph Craft

umm.. You're not saving your $200 just to buy a $400 unit.

The best advice is buy that $200, and swap the axle. You just need to have the spring perches cut amd rewelded which wouldn't cost much of you cant do it yourself. And maybe habe the shock mounts cut and rewelded. You'd end up having a much stronger axle. Plus a complete truck to strip down and get money back on if I'm understanding your post right.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:32 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts

Rock auto has the carrier here http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...+carrier,13098 $322.79 Not sure how that translates to Canadian dollars.

You could buy the truck, personally I would want new mounts, vs cutting the old off and rewelding to the axle, both spring, and shocks. Going to have to set the pinion angle, etc. Then are all the little things going to work out? ie brake cables, driveshaft, brake lines, etc. Also, is the gear ratio the same? a lot of times, the devil is in the details of these swaps.

If the rest of your 8.25 is in good shape, its probably going to be cheaper and easier in the long run to put a limited slip carrier in what you have.
Unless you plan to really dog the truck or switch to a much more powerful engine, the 8.25 is a pretty good rear.

One other point, the used one may be worn out. The limited slip carrier are a wear item.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd stick with the 8.25" rear. Change the carrier on that and maybe go with something other than Dodge. I don't usually say that either.

Twice I've had to rebuild my 9.25" trak-lok (posi). There are problems with the design of the clutch pack retaining clips.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I'd stick with the 8.25" rear. Change the carrier on that and maybe go with something other than Dodge. I don't usually say that either.

Twice I've had to rebuild my 9.25" trak-lok (posi). There are problems with the design of the clutch pack retaining clips.
theres really nothing he could swap in and keep the same bolt pattern being 6 lug.

Quick Reply: 04 Dakota Rear open diff so Posi swap