Won't come out of park - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Won't come out of park

2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Won't come out of park

Old 09-29-2018, 02:57 PM
Rippingmyhairout
Default Won't come out of park

I have a 2000 dakota that won't come out of park. Through my online research and several tests, I have concluded my.problem is the brake transmission shift interlock solenoid. That was the easy part. But now I can't find this part anywhere. I've read it might come attached permanently to a section of cable. Can't find that anywhere either. Including from mopar's parts site. I don't know where exactly its located on the truck. I can't even find a picture of this darn thing. Does anybody know where I can order this part from?? I've never had so much trouble in my life!

Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM
tonypilot7
Professional

OK, this is just weird.. I just researched this part in another thread.. I believe it is attached to the shift lever cable, I remember taking it out when I did my 5 speed swap.

Check out this thread for a pic of it:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nder-dash.html

Old 09-29-2018, 04:59 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

Take the boot off around the column shifter. Reach in there next to the detent plate, and push. It's a slide pin that has to be lubricated or it will lock the shifter out. I have a thread on it, let me find it.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion
Old 09-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Rippingmyhairout

Magnethead, its is not the locking pin. I explored this first because it would have been easiest. I have the column completely exposed right now and when I disconnected the shifter cable the shift arm moves freely.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Rippingmyhairout

Tonypilot7, I looked at that other thread you posted on and I have to agree with magnethead's comment on it. I don't see anything at all that looks like that on my 2000. I don't understand why this is such an elusive part

Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
tonypilot7
Professional

Originally Posted by Rippingmyhairout View Post
Tonypilot7, I looked at that other thread you posted on and I have to agree with magnethead's comment on it. I don't see anything at all that looks like that on my 2000. I don't understand why this is such an elusive part

It looks like BTSI was added in 2002.. I found a reference to it in the 2003 FSM. Updated the other post with pics, but It doesn't look like BTSI is your problem. I would pop the cable off at the transmission and check for free movement of both the cable and the shift arm on the transmission. I don't know much about slushboxes, so beyond that, I wouldn't know which way to go.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 10-01-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, BTSI came out later.

What engine/transmission do you have?

Is the truck on a level surface? Sometimes, if not level, the weight of the truck on the parking sprag can make it difficult to come out of park.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Rippingmyhairout

Its parked pretty close to level. I had a buddy mention that and he suggested rocking the truck back and forth while someone tried pulling the shifter out of park. I tried that and it didn't work. He also mentioned that the torque converter might have gone bad. Does that sound reasonable at all?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

The torque converter could grenade in the bellhousing, but, the shifter would still work.

You have something bound up. Need to find out what. Disconnect the cable at both ends, does it move? If not, replace it. If it does, then try the shift lever at the trans. (have someone sitting the truck, stepping on the brake..... don't wanna get run over if it actually comes out of park. That would be embarrassing.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't come out of park

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: