2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Water leak in heavy rain - passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Coolant glows under UV light without dye. I had a small leak HG in cylinder 5 and was able to see the coolant when I shone a light down in it.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-24-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
So the AC drain is not just for AC?
The a/c compressor also runs when you are using any variety of defrost. Refrigerated air carries less moisture. Although, so far as I am concerned, if I am running the defroster, ALL of the outside air is already refrigerated.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:17 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Had the same problem, water after rain. It turns out the frame rotted under the windshield to a poor glass installation. Had to pull the windshield, repair the sheet metal, and then reinstall.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
So the AC drain is not just for AC?

It's to drain any water that gets into the bottom of the box. Whether it's from A/C condensation or the rain collecting in the air intake. You pull air in to cool it. Anywater that gets in rolls right out too.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:12 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The a/c compressor also runs when you are using any variety of defrost. Refrigerated air carries less moisture. Although, so far as I am concerned, if I am running the defroster, ALL of the outside air is already refrigerated.
I know it runs when the defrost is on. This is definitely an after the rain problem though.

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Had the same problem, water after rain. It turns out the frame rotted under the windshield to a poor glass installation. Had to pull the windshield, repair the sheet metal, and then reinstall.
Sounds like a lot of work there. Luckily, not much rusting here in GA.

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It's to drain any water that gets into the bottom of the box. Whether it's from A/C condensation or the rain collecting in the air intake. You pull air in to cool it. Anywater that gets in rolls right out too.
Gonna pull up the carpet and run the hose soon as I get a chance. I've watched a few videos too. @HeyYou, I'll def check the back glass as I've had problems there in the past.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-25-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Water leak in heavy rain - passenger floorboard