2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

IowaNeon04 official lack-of-progress post

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IowaNeon04 official lack-of-progress post

Well, I decided to take a couple pics today with my cell phone, which has a crappy lens on it. More photos and updates coming soon with my better camera, but I figure this is a start.

Name:  06-21-08_2050.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  42.3 KB

1" drop in the front, haven't done the back yet. Note the clear side-markers (thanks to AirWolf), and of course the new striped that I painted on myself last weekend (dark shadow grey metallic). The pinstripes are 1/4" wide black, I ended up using about 60 feet or so of it.

I am finishing the stripes tomorrow (front bumper is all that's left), and I have clear-cloat to put over them, but I'm not 100% sure if I want to CC all of it, or just rub it out and throw some synthetic wax over it... not sure yet.

Name:  06-21-08_2051.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  35.2 KB

Like I said, crappy camera in my phone. I decided to wrap-around the look by painting and pinstriping ALL the way around to the bottom of the bumper... line-of-sight looking at it from the center of the car, it looks and is even all the way down. Everything is perfectly straight as you eye it over too... this took a while to get right, especially the prep work.

The exhaust is a 25" thrush glasspack running straight back from above the suspension, into a stainless tip. I cut the bumper out exactly 1" right of where the factory RT cutout would have been, and exactly the same size and dimension of what the factory cutout would have been.

Haven't dropped the rear yet, obviously.

Much of the rest over the past two weeks have all been preventative maintenance stuff, and a lot of it... more to come in a few days.

Whatcha think so far?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 AM
N30N
Record Breaker
Default RE: IowaNeon04 official lack-of-progress post

coll man nice job so far

Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

not bad for a diy job. i thought about doing the pinstripes. maybe doing a single over the passenger side? i dunno. yours looks sweet. especially after you do the front bumper. most stripes only go from the hood to the trunklid that i see.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Exubus
Champion

Well thanks so far guys, appreciate it. I agree, most that I ever see is front of the hood to the trunk lid, and everything else is left blank... that really bugs the crap out of me, because the car looks incomplete. I have only seen a few cars that do it all the way around front to back, and I must say, the hardest part of doing all of this IS the rear bumper... very hard to line everything up the way you want it... might sound strange, but it took most of my time getting everything right with it... netween the lining up and the compound bends, and me being picky, it takes a lot of time.... so if you DIY, be prepared to spend the better part of a day on it. If you pay for it, remember that someone else is going to charge u for it because they are the one spending the better part of a day on it lol...

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM
mat663
All Star

I really like how you did the stripes. It looks great from the rear. Someone behind youcould mistaken the back for an srt.

I think some things that can really improve the look will be eyelids, removing the side moldings, and darker tint (i can't tell if you have some, but it looks like you dont have any.)

oh and what springs did you get to lower your front with? how is the ride quality with them?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM
AirWolf

Hey it looks so much better than the 1st time I saw it in person and love those stripes way better than the graphics you had on there when I saw it and the clear sides look really nice.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: mat663

I really like how you did the stripes. It looks great from the rear. Someone behind youcould mistaken the back for an srt.

I think some things that can really improve the look will be eyelids, removing the side moldings, and darker tint (i cant tell if you have some, but it looks like you dont have any.)

oh and what springs did you get to lower your front with? how is the ride quality with them?
Thanksre: the stripes. No, I dont have any tint, but I agree it would probably look a lot better with some, no doubt... probably should add that to my to-do list, but it will have to wait a few weeks at this point. With the exception of prep work for the stripes the car hasn't been washed in 3 weeks and is covered with bugs and s***, but the camera is so crappy you cant readily notice all of that lol.

Id remove the side-moldings, but Im a bit nervous to do so for two reasons. First, Ive heard horror stories from people who have done it, and took some of the paint off with it. Second, I got some bad spots where you can see where a dent used to be, or where bodywork was done (and not done great)... Im hoping the stripes and the side-molding break up those things so people don't readily notive all the s*** the car has really been through.

The springs are stock... yes, I know, big no-no. I spent a lot of time with them to get them lowered evenly, and it actually rides quite nice (for the time being)... but I consider it more of a temporary drop until I actually put "real" Eibachs on the car. I would go into more detail on the drop, and although it worked for me, Ill just say that it is dangerous to do yourself and a real pain in the butt to re-do if you dont get it right the first time. But other than that, it rides really nice now, and is a good temporary look for now I think.

Thanks for the compliments AirWolf.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Undesolved
Veteran

hey air, i like the pic in the gallery. you need more shots of it from that show though like in the trunk, inside, driverside,fro. stuff like that...

Old 06-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Exubus
Champion

You can see the gallery pics? I haven't been able to see my own gallery or anyone elses for weeks now...

Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
AirWolf

I never posted any pics in my gallery Ive been waiting to take some of her with the whole lip kit on and something else she has done a few weeks ago but you cant see any pics on here as of yet. On the drop thing yours would look really nice all the way dropped but mine with the lip kit I bottom out so easily noway I can drop her like I would love to and I also have the sidemoldings and afraid to take them off.

Quick Reply: IowaNeon04 official lack-of-progress post