2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

no low beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM
oberdahill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no low beam headlights

2003SXT -Low beam headlights aren't working and the high beams are stuck in the on position.The multi function control switch doesn't turn the high beams off and I'm not sureif it's a built in safety issue to remain in the on position if the low beams don't operate. All fuses at the fuse box checked, and I'm looking to change the headlight relay next. Are there any other fuses to check and can someone describe the location of the headlight relay? Read other threads on the multifunction switch going bad and I removed the small plastic coveraround the steering column but didn't want to delve too deepinto the guts of the switch componentsyet. No smell or sign of burnt wiring and by all appearances,all seems to be in order.

My wife noticed the low beam headlights weren't working and told my sister-in-law who rotated the barrel switch on the control arm with no luck, then clicked to see if the high beams were operating correctly and now it's stuck on high. She is reluctant to drive the car at night with the lights stuck in this position.

Is there a "How To" thread on this forum with pics and step by step procedures to do a repair?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: no low beam headlights

ummmm have you tried replacing the bulbs...? also did you by any chance have HID (blue, or arctic white, green, etc.) headlight bulbs in there... if you did you prolly melted the multi-function switch... search this forum for my thread from awhile ago about my multi-function switch there is some helpful information there

Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Baddog44
Professional

ya yer prolly just gonna have to order a new multi function switch

Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
oberdahill

I've only been here eight months and I'm sure the headlight parts are all stock. As far as I know, they're the same ones that came from the factory, no HID's or other mods. I've experienced them melting stuff before onVolvo's. Do you think both bulbs burned out at the same time? I'll go and get a bulbin the next couple of days and replace to seeif itworks.

Izero - I read over your fourm and alsolooked on the DIY section but nothing goes into detail on step by stepprocedures to change the switch. How hard is it to change? When I took the plastic cover off, I saw what looked like a module held in place with a couple of screws, any concernswith the airbags when changing the switch?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
contagious19
Champion

i have an extra mfs. plus did u check 2 c if da wiring leading to da mfs wasnt fried. dat happened to me

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Baddog44
Professional

its not that hard at all and you dont gotta worry bout the air bags but if i remember right you might have to take off the steering wheel

Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 AM
contagious19
Champion

not even. just remove two screws and dat assembly come off. its where u turn on ur hazard lights dats where u check da crews are on the bottom all u need is a phillips

Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Izero
Champion

yea its just two screws that you remove if i remember correctly but just dont yank the thing off of there b/c there is a little plug or two on it if i remember correctly and one of those will be melted if something bad happend... but honestly from the sound of it it kinda sounds like someone twisted the headlight switch too hard or tried to force it somewhere and it just snapped... so you might be able to get away with having that one arm replaced (not 100% if you can do this) anyways check on 2gn.org 's forsale section(s) for a MF switch and post it up in the Want To Buy section....be sure to PM people that are parting out their entire car b/c that is usually where you get lucky

Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
oberdahill

contagious - I pulled the cover off (where the hazard button is) and a quick visual inspection shows all wiring looks good, nothing appears to be melted and no smell of anything burnt.Isthe MFS youhave for fog lights? If so I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if the price is right. Is it the module or just the stick?

Izero - gotcha on the two plugs in the back. When I had the cover off yesterday morning, I pulled one of theplugs to look a little closer for telltale signs of overheated wiring and it looks fine.My sis in law may have yanked it too hard or something and it just failed as a result.I'm not sure if I can replace just the arm or I have to buy the module as a unit. Looking at the module,the wiring going into the stick and the various positions when using the blinkers and accessing hi and lo beams, it might be easier to install the module as a whole.

Is there a relay of some kind for the low beam lights? I recall reading somewhere that could be the culprit and might change that in the process. If there's a relay, anyone know the physical location?

Mahalo for the input.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Izero
Champion

yea there is a headlight relay... not sure if it is in the fuse box under the hood or the one on the inside of the car (drivers side)... both have writing to tell you which it is though... good luck and keep us posted

oh... just a side note... i take it new bulbs didn't fix the problem?

Quick Reply: no low beam headlights