2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, it's cool you have a use for it! I was referring to the PO who obviously spent some dough on that feature. I would've used it for other parts is all.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, it's cool you have a use for it! I was referring to the PO who obviously spent some dough on that feature. I would've used it for other parts is all.
Me too.

I didn't even realize what it was, or what the switch was for, until I had own the truck for two weeks. Of course, I bought it in february.... so, not like I am opening the windows a lot that time of year.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion

And.......my third clutch hydraulic kit is starting to squeak and get gritty. What the hell?

Why would the pedal be perfectly buttery smooth for two weeks and then slowly start wearing out? If the clutch was bad, wouldn't it show right away?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is getting so frustrating. You fix something. It's not fixed. You fix it again. It's not fixed.

I can't afford another vehicle!

Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's a closed system, so, unless there was a run of bad parts at the manufacturer..... it shouldn't do that.

Is the line running to close to the exhaust? Or something?

Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I don't know! It's in the stock location.

I have to believe it's the clutch itself. Here's what I know:
1. Sachs 12" clutch installed year and a half ago
2. Original pedal started squeaking bad for a over a year (the kind of embarrassing creak from old vehicles)
3. Replaced hydraulics in Sept - buttery smooth and quiet (fixed!)
4. 2nd kit started squeaking / creaking within a few weeks getting so rough and catchy I basically popped it each time
5. 3rd kit installed two weeks ago - buttery smooth and quiet (fixed again!)
6. 3rd kit starting to creak and get rough

Maybe the 12" updated clutch is too hard on the slave? But it's the same kit for HDs that use much stronger clutches! ARGGG

Old 12-09-2017, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? That kinda think sounds like a pedal pivot, or a mechanical connection somewhere that's having issues, more than a hydraulic problem.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Ramman18
Champion

First kit sounded low like the slave or clutch area.

Second kit was right at the master (firewall). I lubed and checked everything. It's not the pedal or linkage.

Third kit is sounding at the master again.

I don't mind fixing things if they're actually fixed. What's getting so frustrating on my truck is having to do the same repairs over and over and over. Just for kicks, I look online at used trucks once in a while. Just found a cherry and I mean cherry 06 PW with manual! Holy crap is that tempting.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ramman18
First kit sounded low like the slave or clutch area.

Second kit was right at the master (firewall). I lubed and checked everything. It's not the pedal or linkage.

Third kit is sounding at the master again.

I don't mind fixing things if they're actually fixed. What's getting so frustrating on my truck is having to do the same repairs over and over and over. Just for kicks, I look online at used trucks once in a while. Just found a cherry and I mean cherry 06 PW with manual! Holy crap is that tempting.
Yeah, I can see how that might be. No auto trans issues, ever..... newer.... more power...... etc, etc, etc.....

I would seriously consider warranty returning the current master/slave set, get your money back, and then spend a bit more (a lot more?) for a better quality version...... Three of the exact same failures just isn't kosher. Any reviews on the part mention anything of that nature?

Old 12-09-2017, 04:06 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced battery. With winter here I didn’t want to play around with a 5 year old battery on my daily driver so I replaced it.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I can see how that might be. No auto trans issues, ever..... newer.... more power...... etc, etc, etc.....

I would seriously consider warranty returning the current master/slave set, get your money back, and then spend a bit more (a lot more?) for a better quality version...... Three of the exact same failures just isn't kosher. Any reviews on the part mention anything of that nature?
I still have to return the last one. Returns on Rockauto are not easy or fun.

I use only the OEM Sachs kit. It is identical to the original kit. I don't want to try cheaper quality. What could be better than OEM? It's gotta be the clutch causing it but how? Are the fingers too stiff that it wears out three hydraulics? No noise, grinding, slipping, etc. from clutch. It engages perfectly. I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?