2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam
Replaced battery. With winter here I didn’t want to play around with a 5 year old battery on my daily driver so I replaced it.
That's what I do. Every 5 years no matter what. Just had mine tested and it was still great 798 CCA.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I still have to return the last one. Returns on Rockauto are not easy or fun.

I use only the OEM Sachs kit. It is identical to the original kit. I don't want to try cheaper quality. What could be better than OEM? It's gotta be the clutch causing it but how? Are the fingers too stiff that it wears out three hydraulics? No noise, grinding, slipping, etc. from clutch. It engages perfectly. I just don't get it.
If you clutch feels/sounds/smells like it is working fine, then I would suspect that the problem ISN'T there..... I mean, seriously, it's hydraulics? You press on one lever, and it moves another. If you aren't getting high pedal effort, then I don't think that's the problem.

Maybe just a run of bad parts? (and this is why I would just as soon buy the parts locally. I might pay a little more, but, if there is a problem, I don't have to pay to ship it back...... or, to have it show up either, for that matter.)

Old 12-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Well, Napa has it for $220. The genuine Sachs is $100 on rockauto. I am going to wait and see how bad this one gets.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Well, Napa has it for $220. The genuine Sachs is $100 on rockauto. I am going to wait and see how bad this one gets.
Will they price match? My local advance auto will. Even with rock auto.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion

No idea but I've never known Napa to give an inch. Pretty tight with warranties anyway. And their quality has not impressed me.

What about the bushings in the pedal assembly? Can they be had anywhere? I've greased everything but maybe they cause the rod (which is on a heim) to wobble or something? But only after two weeks of use? Ugh. This is so stupid.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Still have one of the failed ones? I would be tempted to put it in a flavor 'test bench', and see just what, exactly, is going on. I would also be tempted to empty the fluid out of it, and see if it is contaminated in some way. (granted, that will likely void the warranty.)

Old 12-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Jroberds1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, The Napa Brand is really nothing than a name. The parts that they carry hold the same warranty as the other box stores, as well as there quality standards..

Srry to hear about your clutch issues. I dont have anything to add being that i dont have a 5 speed, however, being that you dislike replacing the same parts repeatedly.. Why have you not just replaced it all at the same time. Everything new.... While I know that it is expensive and for some, out of reach; but think of it. Eliminating new and old parts that wear at different rates.

I have began doing this with my truck. Most recently my steering. New box, interm shaft, pump/reservoir, and hoses. All parts from Napa. This eleminated 1.5" of slop at the steering wheel, and actually holds my turn in angle through twists and turns.. However, the Box doesnt like full lock (gets very stiff/shutters), and it doesnt like to return to natural after turning. Just an example.

Point being, perhaps is the only way to return to factory new, is to pay up for the best of aftermarket, or literally pay the dealer for true OE.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Ramman18
Champion

The only way to do what you're suggesting is to replace the engine, trans, t-case, and rear end. Everything else is new within the last year and a half.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:44 AM
Thomas McDonough 3
Default 07 durango 4.7 4\4 v8

Sometimes you might have problems with used dodges i bought mine brand new in 07 durango 4.7 v8 4by4 i have kept up all oil changes and im proud to say i hit 286 thousand miles with origanal trany and motor no issues burns 1 quart every 6thousand miles does not smoke runs like new stll thank god i think the 4.7 engine is the best ever made for a long lasting engine .. Even this trany really 286 thousand miles what more can u ask for . i made my durango a promise if she hits 300k i will rebuild engine and trany . then i will give it to my son and he will enjoy it for many many years just a great suv. Just put a little time and care into what u have and it will last past expectations.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:46 AM
Thomas McDonough 3
Default 07 durango 4.7 4\4 v8

Originally Posted by Thomas McDonough 3
Sometimes you might have problems with used dodges i bought mine brand new in 07 durango 4.7 v8 4by4 i have kept up all oil changes and im proud to say i hit 286 thousand miles with origanal trany and motor no issues burns 1 quart every 6thousand miles does not smoke runs like new stll thank god i think the 4.7 engine is the best ever made for a long lasting engine .. Even this trany really 286 thousand miles what more can u ask for . i made my durango a promise if she hits 300k i will rebuild engine and trany . then i will give it to my son and he will enjoy it for many many years just a great suv. Just put a little time and care into what u have and it will last past expectations.
i will tell everyone when i hit 350 if it happens.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?