2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nuthin' much... Changed the oil and filter, found that the oil flunky in Silver City cranked the filter down tight with a wrench. Putz. After applying my handy dandy pliers-type oil filter destroyer and crushing the bejeezus out of the can I finally got it removed, and remarked to the wife, "How can anyone be so damned dumb as to crank down an oil filter with a wrench?". She laughed at me. "Of all people", she said, "I cannot believe that you just said that". Valid point.

While knocking around under the truck I found the source of the coolant smell I've been just barely catching a whiff of every now and then. Darn spring clamp on the lower hose at the water pump end. I really didn't feel like removing the hose and getting coolant all over the garage so I just moved the weak clamp out of the way and snaked a worm drive clamp into place.

Looks like the rear main seal has gone weepy. Oh, the joys of driving old vehicles.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
....snipped... rear main seal. so plan on doing some work this weekend. got the fel-pro from napa about 55 dollars combined
I don't want to do my rear main seal......

Got the fuel filler and vent hoses hooked back up.
Cleaned up the Keg intake.
Yanked the fuel rails.
Installed the gear shift linkage after welding the 3" stub in.

More yankin' this weekend.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Aren't there six bolts for the hitch? Don't weld it. Heating the metal will actually weaken it. Don't want your hitch separating from the truck. That would suck.
Yeah it is six but I just got 4 to hold it in place, I guess ill just go buy two more and just keep it mounted like that.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
More yankin' this weekend.
We really don't need to know about that. I mean, ya know, as far as I'm concerned you can rub it 'til it falls off, but it ain't nobody's bidness but your own.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Didn't do much except found the source of my coolant smell. Leaking timing cover gasket. Guess i'll tear into next weekend. My truck knows I have nothing better to do.

EDIT: I take that back...I did take the slack out of my steering. wow What a difference. I had been to lazy to do it so just kept putting it off.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramzy
Didn't do much except found the source of my coolant smell. Leaking timing cover gasket.
Sorry to hear that, I remember that PITA. just did mine thanksgiving weekend.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 AM
99SLTdriver
Amateur

HeyYou.I cant take credit for the playing cards.I saw it on youtube.I stuck walmart sacks behind the wheel openings so I could try doing them on the truck.Figured if it didnt cover well I would take them off and respray.But they turned out great.

BigBlue,I used plasti dip.http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...20Truc/get.jpg.
If you search the forums you will see lots of pics and how to's.Bacically its a rubber coating like you would dip tools in but its a spray.Looks great.Its available in Black,white,red,and clear.It's nice because if you use it and diecide later you dont like it you just peel it off.Its pretty fool proof to apply.alot easier than rattle can paint.Its durable.i have not heard any complaints. I did my bumpers and grill over a month ago,(back bumper was done almost 2 months ago).No chips or scratches.One Warning,It's addicting!I keep finding more things to do.Like my door and tailgate handles pillers between doors,I have been thinking about doing my hood.Anyway do some searching and look at some pics and give it a try.Ask if you have any questions.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
We really don't need to know about that. I mean, ya know, as far as I'm concerned you can rub it 'til it falls off, but it ain't nobody's bidness but your own.
Hey, its good bizness! Sharing is fun! Yeah....the camshaft will get yanked.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by
BigBlue,I used plasti dip.[URL
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/monroeia/My%20Truc/get.jpg[/URL].
If you search the forums you will see lots of pics and how to's.Bacically its a rubber coating like you would dip tools in but its a spray.Looks great.Its available in Black,white,red,and clear.It's nice because if you use it and diecide later you dont like it you just peel it off.Its pretty fool proof to apply.alot easier than rattle can paint.Its durable.i have not heard any complaints. I did my bumpers and grill over a month ago,(back bumper was done almost 2 months ago).No chips or scratches.One Warning,It's addicting!I keep finding more things to do.Like my door and tailgate handles pillers between doors,I have been thinking about doing my hood.Anyway do some searching and look at some pics and give it a try.Ask if you have any questions.
I had a durango before my ram, and i sprayed the door handles and step ups and other things blue, wanted to do my rims back then too but i was under the understanding to use spray paint you have to scruff up the surface. Im deff going to look into buying a bottle or two of that.
May i ask where you bought it from? (im going to google it now)

Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I built a center console for my truck

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?