2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I washed, clay bar'd, re-washed, applied paint polish and then a coat of wax with a buffer Saturday.

So obviously, yesterday we got a tropical storm and it's rained like hell for the past two days...

Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I washed, clay bar'd, re-washed, applied paint polish and then a coat of wax with a buffer Saturday.

So obviously, yesterday we got a tropical storm and it's rained like hell for the past two days...
That's your fault too ya know.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
rollinlow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

filled all the fluids dechromed the grill and duricoated it

Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does claybar cut down on clear? I have heard mixed thoughts on this. Wife's car feels rough on hood. Washed it yesterday and helped some. Problem is worse on hood and front end. Thinking about clay bar but not sure.

Installed HS rockers on Ram today and painted valve covers. Finished just as it started raining like a big dog and got it back in garage. Hail predicted.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdstock
Does claybar cut down on clear? I have heard mixed thoughts on this. Wife's car feels rough on hood. Washed it yesterday and helped some. Problem is worse on hood and front end. Thinking about clay bar but not sure.

Installed HS rockers on Ram today and painted valve covers. Finished just as it started raining like a big dog and got it back in garage. Hail predicted.
I've clay bar'd my truck (and other vehicles of mine as well) twice a year (spring & fall) since it was one year old. I get people all the time ask me what I do to keep the exterior looking like new, especially when they find out my truck has sat outside, in the sun in either Florida or Georgia since the day I bought it. Clear coat is fine - but the key with a claybar is to keep it lubricated at all times or it will stick and friction can take off some clear. I use a spray mist made specifically for clay bars.

It's amazing how rough the surface is even after a good hand wash and how smooth it feels to the touch after the clay bar.

You should try it - it works well...

Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've clay bar'd my truck (and other vehicles of mine as well) twice a year (spring & fall) since it was one year old. I get people all the time ask me what I do to keep the exterior looking like new, especially when they find out my truck has sat outside, in the sun in either Florida or Georgia since the day I bought it. Clear coat is fine - but the key with a claybar is to keep it lubricated at all times or it will stick and friction can take off some clear. I use a spray mist made specifically for clay bars.

It's amazing how rough the surface is even after a good hand wash and how smooth it feels to the touch after the clay bar.

Thanks. I just ordered Mothers brand. Will be on the road part of the week so hope it comes in time to give it a shot this weekend. But if it works like I think it will, the Yota will be next in line! I hope Mothers is good. I have used some of their other products and been satisfied.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

I agree. Then buff with polishing compound. Its like glass

I always clay bar before I ever buff or wax. Just removes all contaminations before being sealed.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

yep, I used to just apply the wax after washing and using the clay bar. But the polish buffed in before waxing makes it just pop! The reflection is a LOT deeper than just waxing...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

This was my first try on clay bar and buffing. Was the same day I got my new buffing toys I did wash, dry, clay bar, rubbing compound, polishing compound, then sealed with wax. Haven't done it again in a while. I desperately need too...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had buffed out the paint smudge I had on my tailgate from backing into that mailbox friday morning.

Can hardly see it!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?