2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate you right now.

I'm too broke to afford a new card and some RAM.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Well Stewie you can defend Ford auto trannies now

Hit the road with the Ford today. Ran like a beaut, all I did was add fluid to the tranny.

What went wrong? Well the front seal leaked, I knew that much. But here's how you diagnose a E4OD front seal problem:

If the seal blew, then let it cool off. Some weeks later, fill it up with fluid and hit the road. no leaks? Tranny overheated, install aftermarket tranny cooler, problem fixed.

Still leaks? Replace front seal, no need to rebuild tranny. $200 fix, includes new front pump, fluid, updated seal, new bushing and sleeve, filter and fluid.

In my case tranny overheated, it was a hot day, and we were out in the field, moving slowly.

Filled up the tranny today, hit the road hard, came home, not a single drip, and its REALLY hot out today.

So now I'm onto E-Fan conversion, and aftermarket tranny cooler.

Ford autos still reign

I've gotta put a new MLPS on it too, but that's cheap and easy.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I hate you right now.

I'm too broke to afford a new card and some RAM.
haha I haven't upgraded that machine in quite a while...

it originally had a 680i board with the same proc, but that board caught fire after its 3rd year of operation. (literally, one of the power capacitors blew and caught on fire...smoke was rolling out the back of the PSU cause its fan was sucking up the smoke and blowing it out the back)

so I put in a ticket with EVGA since I had a lifetime warranty on the mobo, and they shipped me out a new 780i board (upgrade from 680i) for free and they sent a return shipping label in the box with it, so I could throw my old board in the box, slap the label on, and ship it back free of charge.

now THAT's customer service! no hassles at all from them and best part is they KNEW I was overclocking. Their warranty covers overclocking and putting aftermarket cooling on, as long as you put it all back to factory before you ship it back they don't care.

oh yeah, forgot to mention PSU is a Silverstone strider plus 1000w modular.

what ram does your board take? DDR2 is dirt cheap now dude...I bought that 8GB for like $50 or less. paid like $300 for the proc years ago, and haven't changed it. primary video card I upgraded from the original setup...used to run 3 8800GTX's in 3-way SLI. but got tired of the excessive heat and thermal shutdowns from excessive heat, so I retired 2 of the cards and replaced with the GTX680 not long after they came out. temps were cut in 1/2 as was power consumption, and video performance was near double.

kept the 3rd 8800 in there for the physx processing to take physx load off of the 680.

I'll sell ya the other two 8800's if you want em? lol they both still work. have original boxes for them, and water blocks on both of them, but also still have the stock air coolers...

Last edited by Jigabop; 07-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baby stuff. I'm running 64gb of DDR3 with 2 tb of HDD space, on a new asrock extreme FireWire mobo, with a Intel quad core zeon (I think that's what its called) black 3.8 GHz processor. I recently installed a sapphire 8 gb video card but not interely impressed with it. But it was cheap and I coulsnt drop the $500 I want to on a video card.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Jigabop
haha I haven't upgraded that machine in quite a while...

it originally had a 680i board with the same proc, but that board caught fire after its 3rd year of operation. (literally, one of the power capacitors blew and caught on fire...smoke was rolling out the back of the PSU cause its fan was sucking up the smoke and blowing it out the back)

so I put in a ticket with EVGA since I had a lifetime warranty on the mobo, and they shipped me out a new 780i board (upgrade from 680i) for free and they sent a return shipping label in the box with it, so I could throw my old board in the box, slap the label on, and ship it back free of charge.

now THAT's customer service! no hassles at all from them and best part is they KNEW I was overclocking. Their warranty covers overclocking and putting aftermarket cooling on, as long as you put it all back to factory before you ship it back they don't care.

oh yeah, forgot to mention PSU is a Silverstone strider plus 1000w modular.

what ram does your board take? DDR2 is dirt cheap now dude...I bought that 8GB for like $50 or less. paid like $300 for the proc years ago, and haven't changed it. primary video card I upgraded from the original setup...used to run 3 8800GTX's in 3-way SLI. but got tired of the excessive heat and thermal shutdowns from excessive heat, so I retired 2 of the cards and replaced with the GTX680 not long after they came out. temps were cut in 1/2 as was power consumption, and video performance was near double.

kept the 3rd 8800 in there for the physx processing to take physx load off of the 680.

I'll sell ya the other two 8800's if you want em? lol they both still work. have original boxes for them, and water blocks on both of them, but also still have the stock air coolers...
I've got an MSi Z77 board. Currently 4 gb of DDR3. DDR3 ain't cheap right now. I know about DDR2, I can buy DDR2 all day for half the price of my Corsair stuff. Speaking of which Corsair isn't even offering the 2 gb sticks like I have anymore. only 4gb sticks now.

I will likely wait until my friend upgrades his system. Granted, I might have to wait a while..idk. He's running dual ATIs IIRC....maybe get one or both? idk.

Quadcab, what the hell do you need 64 gb of RAM for in all practical purposes? You've practically built a mainframe...

Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Baby stuff. I'm running 64gb of DDR3 with 2 tb of HDD space, on a new asrock extreme FireWire mobo, with a Intel quad core zeon (I think that's what its called) black 3.8 GHz processor. I recently installed a sapphire 8 gb video card but not interely impressed with it. But it was cheap and I coulsnt drop the $500 I want to on a video card.
Aren't the zeon processors dedicated server types?

What O/S ya runnin'?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by HeyYou

What O/S ya runnin'?
Pretty much.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

on my way to pick up a carb for my 81 i saw the skeleton of a big rig and trailer that caught fire this morning in the middle of the highway going the opposite direction. there was a massive traffic jam and from what i read it caught fire at 8:30 am and i was driving by at 11ish.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Quadcab, what the hell do you need 64 gb of RAM for in all practical purposes? You've practically built a mainframe...
lol you should see our new vmware host machines...

we have 3 new ones and each has:
2 Intel Xeon E5-2440 processors (2.4GHz hex core) with HT
(in other words that is 12 processing cores and 24 logical processors)

196GB DDR3 RAM
8x 3TB hot swap SAS drives in dual RAID-5 setup.
4x 1Gbps networking.

quick little machines. They do have a reason for having that kind of power though...V-irtual machine hosts need to have a lot of power...

those guys are running VMWare ESXi 5.0

Originally Posted by HeyYou

What O/S ya runnin'?
yes Xeons* are more of a server processor, but there are a few desktop boards and "precision workstations" that also use Xeon processors...

Intel basically breaks up their processor line into three types...

Celeron - basically the cheapest and worst quality out of a processor wafer. They are slower, wont tolerate much if any overclocking, and usually found in cheap desktops and laptop like the kind you find at office depot...

Pentium/core - consumer grade processors for desktops, laptops, and workstations. They will handle the upper end of computers and gaming machines.

Xeon - The premium line of processors reserved for elite workstations and server class machines. They are the best chips on the wafers and are made for heavy complex multi-tasking high load/demand, and mission critical 24/7/365 operation.

As for OS: Windows 7 Enterprise x64 on work desktop and work laptop
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on home desktop.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread