2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
No it's not just you, non-ethanol blended gas does have more power for less heat.

One day I took my testing engine, a 6HP Briggs push mower.
I put 100% ethanol in a dry fuel system, and ran it on a literal 100* ambient temperature day, no wind.

The engine got so hot it boiled the whole tank away, you could see the steam rising. I changed the oil, stank terrible. I drained the fuel system of what little ethanol was left, put 87 octane ethanol free gas, engine ran fine the rest of the day. I did have to put a new crank in it though to pay for testing It got too hot and bent easy because of that.
Thats quite the interesting test, they sell 87 octane ethanol free? Where I live you have to purchase 91 octane to get ethanol free. It really got that hot it bent the crank? Be interested to see temp numbers with the different fuels.

Originally Posted by zman17
Using some Star Tron or Stabil Marine Formula when filling up, will all but eliminate any of these concerns regarding ethanol on our magnum motors.
Very true point sir, round here though no retailers sell those though... believe me I've gone looking! Might have to order some online to try though.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

HUH? StarTron maybe, but Stabil Marine is even available at wally world.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Using some Star Tron or Stabil Marine Formula when filling up, will all but eliminate any of these concerns regarding ethanol on our magnum motors.
The only concern left is that fuel additive is expensive and it still won't help the fact that ethanol doesn't produce as much power period, but it certainly makes it livable and prevents engine damage.

I actually am a dealer for Star Tron, but I never have sold any as I tell people to buy seafoam, it usually works just as well.

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Thats quite the interesting test, they sell 87 octane ethanol free? Where I live you have to purchase 91 octane to get ethanol free. It really got that hot it bent the crank? Be interested to see temp numbers with the different fuels.

Very true point sir, round here though no retailers sell those though... believe me I've gone looking! Might have to order some online to try though.
87 octane is ethanol free, or at least only up to 5%. 87, 91, 93 octane around here all are "ethanol-free", i.e. 5% or less ethanol. 89 is 15%.

The reason it is hard to get star-tron, is that most retail stores can't get it, or rather they won't let them. They like making it easy for small engine repair shops, like me, to get it because that is where it will most be needed, and we are more likely to sell it because we see the need.

Edit: Yes the engine got so hot that the crank became flexible enough to bend.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's why I use Stabil Marine in every thing I own. Yea, it cost more to use it, but not as much as replacing a motor, whether it be a car/truck or a small engine.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

HUH? StarTron maybe, but Stabil Marine is even available at wally world.
My wally world SUCKS, they have the smallest auto and marine sections ive ever seen! Gonna have to triple check next time I make it that far though.

The only concern left is that fuel additive is expensive and it still won't help the fact that ethanol doesn't produce as much power period, but it certainly makes it livable and prevents engine damage.

I actually am a dealer for Star Tron, but I never have sold any as I tell people to buy seafoam, it usually works just as well.

87 octane is ethanol free, or at least only up to 5%. 87, 91, 93 octane around here all are "ethanol-free", i.e. 5% or less ethanol. 89 is 15%.

The reason it is hard to get star-tron, is that most retail stores can't get it, or rather they won't let them. They like making it easy for small engine repair shops, like me, to get it because that is where it will most be needed, and we are more likely to sell it because we see the need.

Edit: Yes the engine got so hot that the crank became flexible enough to bend.
At my local pump, 87 says contains up to 15% ethanol, as does the 89. 91 is advertised as completely ethanol free (not sure whether thats true or not though). You run your own small engine repair shop tech? Thats pretty cool man!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ502741839

Now I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure putting your vehicle on its side is a bad idea.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Can be for daily drivers, but for restoration on large scale it is imperative, it'll save you alot of time.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best mpgs I've ever got in the Ram were with StarTron

Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Can be for daily drivers, but for restoration on large scale it is imperative, it'll save you alot of time.
Really? I never would of thought to do that. Jeez Tech you've taught me more in the last few days then I learned the year before :-P

Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Johnn123
My wally world SUCKS, they have the smallest auto and marine sections ive ever seen! Gonna have to triple check next time I make it that far though.

At my local pump, 87 says contains up to 15% ethanol, as does the 89. 91 is advertised as completely ethanol free (not sure whether thats true or not though). You run your own small engine repair shop tech? Thats pretty cool man!
Yeah I run my own shop, I service and do major repairs (overhauls etc.) on small engines (26HP or less) and agricultural equipment, and regular maintenance (except brakes, because so many require special tools and ABS diagnostic tool access to bleed brakes properly) on vehicles. I've been at it for over 2 years this August

Small engines are so expensive to repair, and newer stuff is just made to throw away, so I've been leaving small engines and getting into building custom vehicles and restorations, as well as making performance parts and rebuilding certain parts to stock, as there is far more profit to be had there. (Note for mods: This ain't advertising Just talking about what I do for work).

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread